Alumni Chapter Leadership Blog

Get To Know A DAE Member: Cat Willms

November 13th, 2013

Cat Willms

Delta Alpha Epsilon (DAE) is a student service organization dedicated to serving Cedarville University’s alumni. DAE assists the Alumni Association with chapter and regional events, Homecoming, and various other needs around the Alumni Relations Office. Students must reapply each spring to be a member of this highly selective organization.

Hello all, my name is Cat Willms, and I’m a Graphic Design student from Loveland, Colorado. Some of you may be wondering why I left my home and family in the Rocky Mountains to be here in Cedarville, Ohio. Allow me to share a bit of my story.

I am the 15th member of my family to attend Cedarville. My parents are both alumni, Class of 1988. I grew up hearing stories about their college days and hoping that I, too, would get to go someday. I always loved coming to campus for my parents’ Homecoming reunions and meeting their college friends. I’m pretty sure I owned a Cedarville sweatshirt before I could talk. It’s safe to say that Cedarville runs deep in my blood. During my final high school visit, I knew that this was my new home.

One afternoon in the late winter of my freshman year, I called my mom to tell her a story. She, my dad, and my younger sister were headed into the Rockies for the final ski day of the season. In the middle of our conversation, I heard screams on the other end, then silence. It was hours before I got a call back from my mom, who told me that their truck had hit ice and rolled 6 times. At the time, she wasn’t sure if my dad and sister were going to make it. Never in my life have I experienced such helplessness and fear. Yet that day, friends and strangers alike surrounded me and prayed for my dad and sister, who were miraculously healed! Several of my friends even pitched in to buy me a plane ticket so that I could see my family and be with them as they recovered.

Though my home is far away, and I miss my family dearly, I am so incredibly blessed to also be a part of the Cedarville family. When I am mourning, my Cedarville brothers and sisters mourn with me. And when I am rejoicing, they are cheering the loudest. The Cedarville family truly embodies what it means to be the body of Christ. We all grow together and help each other strive for greatness. This year’s Homecoming theme, Together, was a great reminder that together we form a community, a body, a family. And I thank God that I can call them my family.