Search

HeartSong Blog

HeartSong Reign In Us

Blindsided

July 1st, 2013

The tarp was laid out, the hose was running and the smell of baby shampoo was fresh in the air. That’s right, it was time for the Slip n Slide. I was assigned to help manage this activity, a particular favorite for many campers at Lift. In order to make the slide a little extra special, I took the liberty of spraying the campers as they ran past and slid down to their soapy demise. As a result, I was one of the driest participants. Of course, to some campers, this was absolutely unacceptable. They tried and tried to steal the hose out of my hands and after several failed attempts, they decided to be a little more forceful about it. Okay, a LOT more forceful. I don’t remember much but from what I was told, I went down hard. I was blindsided by a senior high boy who was an all-star football player on his team back home. In a tangle of arms and legs, I went careening down the slide and ended up in a puddle of water and bubbles. Needless to say, it was a bonding experience between the campers and I that will not be soon forgotten.

Usually when I think of God moving, I picture a still small voice or a soft wind. This week however, I witnessed the intense and powerful moving of His spirit at work within the hearts and minds of these campers. Sometimes in our lives we are waiting for God to quietly move and are not expecting to see His awesome power at work. This week, I was blindsided by how quickly lives can be changed. As a new HeartSong member and someone who has never attended a Lift camp before, the Monday night service rocked my world. So many lives were changed that first night and in the following nights. Hardened hearts were changed and lives were forever transformed this week. I am so blessed and privileged to be a part of HeartSong and to work with an amazing ministry like Lift.

1044528_10151756475339665_1061343424_n

I was blindsided twice this week, once by a high school boy trying to be funny and again by a God who has so much power to reveal Himself to us if we are willing to pay attention. My excitement can only grow from here. I know that God will continue to make Himself known in the hearts of these kids, even if they aren’t expecting it. Sometimes we need the unexpected situations to knock us off our feet and push us in the direction of His glory. I needed the extra push to make the Slip n Slide all that more enjoyable. What could our lives look like if we allowed God to push us towards Him?

-Ashlynn Kelly