Search

HeartSong Blog

HeartSong Reign In Us

Strength in weakness

July 2nd, 2013

Last week we were at Scioto Hills and we had a great time hanging out with the different campers. I had the awesome opportunity to talk with one of the girls in my cabin. I noticed that after one of the sessions she was sitting alone in her chair, weeping. I went over and sat with her for a long time. When she was ready, she shared how insecure she felt in her faith. She had been coming to camp for as long as she remembered and had prayed the sinner’s prayer every time, but as soon as she left camp she just was not so sure anymore. Sitting there I got to explain that she only needed to be saved once and that God had her in his hands and nothing could take her away from him. (John 10:27-29) I also told her that she could talk to God at anytime and tell him exactly what she was feeling. I got to pray for her and it was encouraging for both of us.

After sitting there and praying with that girl, I realized how often we do not take advantage of prayer. I was reminded of how often we try to live life in our own power. We forget how powerful and wonderful prayer is. As Christians we have this awesome opportunity to talk to God; the great I AM and our Daddy. How amazing is that? At any time during the day or night I can talk to my Dad and he will listen.

At Scioto during one of the night sessions, our speaker told us that we needed to be confident and bold when talking to the Father. Since God is everything that we will ever need and he is the only true thing that will sustain us, we have to let him know. I was very challenged by this. You would think that being transparent with the God who knows everything about you would be easy, but so often I find myself trying to hide my weaknesses from God. However, the Bible has some encouragement for us while being weak. In 2 Corinthians it says, “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
Be encouraged this week with the knowledge of Christ as our strength. We are weak, but He is strong.

-Aleska

Aleska Barkoviak-01