Search

HeartSong Blog

HeartSong Reign In Us

Unexpected Blessings

August 8th, 2013

Last week, Orange Team had the opportunity to visit Harvey Cedars camp in New Jersey. It was an incredible way to spend our final week on the road. This was the first time a HeartSong team had ever been here, and we definitely had a great first experience. We were blessed in so many ways, including the strong relationships we built with the staff, the privilege of being situated along the beach, and the energetic junior high students we were able to meet. It was encouraging to see them draping their arms across each others’ shoulders and swaying, or holding hands as they raised them toward the heavens during worship sets. The unity in worship that this represented was beautiful.

On top of all these blessings, we were granted a completely unexpected one. The director of the camp (and mayor of the town) managed to get us the phone number of Al Stevens, a Cedarville trustee who happened to live five minutes from the camp. Before we knew it, we were standing face-to-face with one of the trustees who has provided such support to our university. It was an honor to spend time talking with him and to hear some of his incredible testimony. I was personally grateful for the opportunity to meet him because of how much I (and the whole student body) had been praying for the trustees. His humility and loving spirit were a great encouragement to our team.

Last week was bittersweet for me. It was our last week on the road as a team. Although we all have loved ones we are eager to return to and spend time with, it is also sad to realize that the summer is almost over. However, this reveals just how close our team has grown over the course of the past year. These are people who have not only supported and loved me, but who have encouraged and challenged me in the way I approach ministry and in my walk with God. I cannot begin to describe how blessed I have been to spend 9 weeks with my brothers and sister in Christ. I praise God for His hand in forming our team and for all the work He has accomplished in and through us!

IMG_0895 (1)

-Ashley Auch