OneVoice Blog

Recording with Michael Dorsey!!!

September 27th, 2013

Our new CD project, Victory In Worship, features several guest singers and musicians!  We are so thrilled to be able to be able to feature Michael Dorsey on this CD! He is not only an Alum of Cedarville University and a recent contestant on season 14 of NBC’s The Biggest Loser, Michael is the founder of OneVoice Gospel Choir! He recruited and mentored our current director Justin Spann and established the vision for what OneVoice has become today!  We asked him to share his thoughts on recording:

mike leading 2

“When Justin called me asking if I would be willing to sing a solo on the new OneVoice CD, I actually thought he had bumped his head!  I never considered myself a soloist, let alone one that would actually sing on a CD.  However, when he told me it was for “I Came to Magnify,” how could I resist?  That song was the OneVoice anthem when it all began…actually, before it had the name OneVoice the choir was simply known as “Gospel Choir.”  I remember it like it was yesterday when I sent the email out announcing the choir for our first rehearsal to be held the first Monday after students returned from Winter break.  I expected maybe 20-30 students….imagine my surprise when over 60 students showed up!  I didn’t have a musician but I had sheet music for a handful of songs… “I Came to Magnify” was one of them.  Sara Murphy (now Timmer) volunteered to play.  I played the original track of Bishop Clarence McClendon singing it on his church’s live recording and then

I said, “let’s go!”
Mike leading

We sang that song in chapel one of our first times out the gate and what a sight to see and hear the chapel audience clapping and trying to figure out what was REALLY going on.  Little did I know that over 10 years later, I would have the opportunity to relive that experience.

It is my prayer that as people listen to that song, they will be sure to Magnify the Lord in everything they do!  He is so worthy of all praise, glory and honor and even when I don’t feel my best He STILL is worthy of that praise!!!” ~Michael Dorsey

Thank you Michael for all you’ve done for OneVoice and thank you for being a part of this CD project!  We can’t wait for you to hear how it turned out!  Victory In Worship comes out on October 1st, grab a copy from the bookstore while you’re at Cedarville for Homecoming or it will be available on iTunes, Amazon, CDBaby and many other online retailers!

1001070_490973734321801_373627307_n