OneVoice Blog

Community

February 7th, 2014

communityheader

Community. It is one of the most beautiful, difficult, frustrating and fragile parts of life that God created for us. When it works it can save lives and do amazing things, but when it fails… it hurts. I’ve learned over the last few months of being at Cedarville that even here community isn’t perfect, because it’s made up of imperfect people. But even when it doesn’t run smoothly, its’ brokenness still reflects beauty. We are a beautifully broken community brought together by the Master Seamster that binds us together in His Name.

Recently, I’ve been wrestling with figuring out how a community really works. What makes a community close-knit and special? The answer that I’ve discovered through my own life and experience is transparency, which is actually one of my biggest struggles. It’s not that I’m fake around certain people and real around others, it’s that I like picking certain parts of myself to emphasize or minimize depending on who I’m with.

Romans 12:4-8 says:

“For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.”

God designed every single one of us uniquely and with special gifts to add to His body of believers. Therefore, when I’m not being myself 100% of the time, I’m hurting Him, and also robbing His community of believers from the gifts that He’s given to me to use for His glory. The body of believers is a community full of sinners that are saved by grace through the cross. No one is perfect. Everyone has a flaw. But God intended it to be this way because as messed up as we are on our own, when we lean on each other for strength; we can make it through trials as a team. Don’t miss out on an opportunity for your community to get to know the real you.

Community. Transparency. Take advantage of the amazing gift God has given us in community and don’t forget how special you are and how every little quirk, emotion, and talent you have only contributes and grows the Body of Christ into a beautifully broken community.

-Allison