OneVoice Blog

Winter Snow

February 26th, 2014

IMG_1634 (1)

It has been a very long winter. As it started to snow once again today, I found myself wondering how it could be so cold for so long. We have had a couple of days of warmth, but for the most part, it has been miserably cold every day since we got back from Christmas break. Which led me to my next thought. Why do we think of cold and snow in a negative manner? People can get “left out in the cold” or given the “cold shoulder”. I know everybody enjoys a hot summer day on the beach, but it seems to me like we are giving winter a bad rap.

All this thinking made me think of a song I heard recently by Chris Tomlin entitled “Winter Snow”. The chorus goes like this:

You came like a winter snow.

You were quiet, and soft, and slow.

Falling from the sky, in the night,

to the earth below.

When is the last time that you thought of God as quiet, soft, gentle and slow? When is the last time that you looked at the beautiful white snow, (before the footprints and snow angels) and thought, “wow, this is beautiful, and my God created it. That makes him beautiful too.”

Psalm 19:1 says, “The heavens declare the glory of the lord. The sky proclaims his handiwork.” Everything that we see in our day-to-day lives is constantly proclaiming the power and glory of our God, the one who created it all. I think that in our busy lives, we get so caught up ourselves that we forget to look around and realize how big and wonderful our God truly is. However, what makes that so great, is that even though he has control over the whole earth, he still loves you and me. For me, snow has gained a new meaning. Yes, it’s cold. Yes, it’s incredibly annoying when it somehow finds its way inside your hood and down your back. But, every time I see or feel snow, it makes me think of my creator. The God who came like a winter snow, and is coming back again.

It certainly makes the winter go by a little faster.

-Jordan Lee