Search

OneVoice Blog

Depending on God

March 14th, 2014

As I sit and read through my journal about all of the incredible things God taught me throughout our spring break tour in Denver, one theme that seems to repeat is: the children. Initially, I thought this was because of my love for children and the fact that we had the opportunity to love on so many of them. But, the reoccurring theme that came along with the children was how innocent and dependent they were on their teachers and parents. Anyone who was older was either clung to, or looked to for guidance. Without the adults, the children would have no clue of what to do with all that they had learned in the classroom.

allisonandlittlegirl

Dependence. Watching these kindergarteners, I forgot how much they depended on their teacher and how many little questions they had. However, what struck me was that rarely did they question the answer; they just followed obediently. The passage in the Bible that comes to mind about children is Matthew 8: 2-4:

“He called a child, had him stand among them, and said, “I tell you the truth,    unless you turn around and become like little children, you will never enter           the kingdom of Heaven! Whoever then humbles himself like this child is the   greatest in the kingdom of Heaven.””

There’s a reason God calls us His children. Children are dependent beings that seek to be guided, loved, and taken care of. God calls us to be dependent on Him for guidance, love, and to trust that He will take care of our needs and us. I’m convicted that if I’m not actively doing this, then I’m not really having faith, so do I really believe in God?

This question was terrifying to confront. My initial response was, “Of course I believe in God!” But if I believe in Him and His promises to take care of my needs, and me then why do I worry? Why do I try to do things on my own? Because I’m selfish and conceited and so worried about what others think of me that I need to make sure everything is in my control. Instead of trusting when God answers and obeying His plans, I question, and sometimes choose unwisely.

Anyone else ever feel like that? Maybe you don’t. For me, I’ve realized that the only way I can start becoming more dependent on God is by giving each and every day to Him, asking Him to help me through that day. We all yearn to be loved and whether we admit it or not, we’re made to be dependent. Humans will fail us when we depend on them, but there’s a God that’s waiting for the opportunity to fulfill these needs in my life and yours.

Just like a child depends on their parents and adults, we all depend on and need to obey God and His plans for us. Give your days to Him and depend on Him to carry you through.

-Allison