How well do you know the CU Mission? Do you have it memorized? We all should, for our Mission statement drives everything we do and are at Cedarville University. “Cedarville University is a Christ-centered learning community equipping students for lifelong leadership and service through an education marked by excellence and grounded in biblical truth.”
On Wednesday February 18, the HLC Steering Committee held its first of five criterion-focused meetings. Criterion 1: Mission took center stage. Led by Chair Robert Parr, the group considered the detailed meaning of our Mission and its history, and discussed how we will prove to the Higher Learning Commission that our Mission truly guides every operation at Cedarville University.
We need to demonstrate this in the following ways:
1. Our Mission is broadly understood within the University. How well do you and your area understand the Mission?
2. Our Mission guides the University’s operations. How does it guide your area’s day-to-day and long-term operations? Do you have documented evidence that it does?
3. Our Mission is articulated publicly. In how many places can you readily find the Mission statement? The committee identified at least 15 areas as an immediate response; there are many more.
4. Our Mission embraces the diversity of society represented by the constituents of the University. In what ways do you and your area acknowledge and value the human diversity that is represented in our collective multi-ethnic society?
5. Our Mission demonstrates commitment to the public good. How do you and your area serve not just Cedarville University, but also the general public?
We hope that you would ask yourselves these questions, and we welcome your comments or answers. If you have some evidence that supports any of the core components listed above, please let us know. We want to make sure to consider and include your area in our written Assurance Argument. The 2016-17 HLC Reaffirmation of Accreditation needs all of us to work together to assure the Higher Learning Commission that in every area, we are governed and driven by our Mission.
Posted in: Uncategorized