Students on sidewalk in fall

Cedarville University Prepares for Return to Campus in August

May 15, 2020 |

Cedarville University is preparing to welcome residential graduate and undergraduate students back to campus as scheduled August 14-16, 2020. With broad engagement across the institution, the President’s Cabinet (made up of the division vice presidents and the athletic director) is carefully reviewing every area of the University’s operations to ensure protocols are in place to protect the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff when we return, Lord willing, in just three short months.

Using Philippians 2:4 as a guide, the Cabinet is implementing a comprehensive plan that encourages the campus community to consider others as well as themselves and empowers them to take responsibility for their own health and safety amid the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic. This is an unprecedented opportunity to live out Cedarville’s core value of “Love for Others” as we take the precautions necessary to protect ourselves and those most vulnerable.

To assist with the overall planning for our return to campus, the Cabinet has convened a team of experts to advise on health- and safety-related issues. Team members include:

• John Davis (Chair), Associate Vice President of Human Resources
  • Misti Grimson, M.D., Medical Director – Physician Assistant Program
  • Debra McDonald, B.S.N., RN, Director of University Medical Services
  • Zach Jenkins, R.Ph., Pharm.D., Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice and infectious disease expert
  • Scott Long, M.S., RN, AGACNP-BC, CCRN, Assistant Professor of Nursing
  • Douglas Chisholm, Director of Campus Security

One significant change we are considering is adjusting the academic calendar to end fall semester at Thanksgiving. This change would allow students to be away from campus from late November to mid-January and provide flexibility in our calendar, should it be needed. To assist families with planning, we hope to confirm the academic calendar by the end of May.

The Cabinet is also considering a variety of options for chapel, the heartbeat of Cedarville’s campus, so that worship and teaching continue along with the vibrant campus community that chapel fosters. Be assured: Cedarville will still hold chapel, although it may look different for a time.

While we do not know what may change between now and August, we are proactively addressing the unique challenges of classes and labs, athletics, special events, residence life, dining, and employee work spaces. From enhanced, deep-cleaning regimens to physical distancing protocols, from changes in dining areas and room configurations to getting comfortable wearing Yellow Jacket-branded masks, the Cabinet, advised by our team of experts, is already putting into place best practices and protocols for the fall.

And, it all gets underway with a re-imagined Getting Started Weekend when more than 1,000 new students are planning to join us!

We are excited to welcome all of our students home to Cedarville! Our rural location is a blessing, as we enjoy low coronavirus incident rates in the village and in our county. We can’t wait to have students move in to the new residence hall and enjoy dining at the beautiful Chick-fil-A facility. We are ready to do life and community together again, and we will keep you informed throughout the summer as decisions are made.

Cedarville’s mission — to transform lives through excellent education and intentional discipleship in submission to biblical authority — happens best within the context of genuine Christian community, whether it is the engagement of faculty and students in a classroom or the informal conversations that take place in the residence halls. Now more than ever, our nation and world need Cedarville graduates — highly skilled professionals who care deeply, serve passionately, and live out their Gospel calling clearly.

Lord willing, we will see you on campus in August, Cedarville family!

Posted in: , ,

15 Comments

• Anonymous says:

Thank you for considering ALL the students when making this decision. Some college students are immunocompromised and this is an issue for them. As much as we want the campus to open in the fall, we want to make sure that proper precautions are put into place to protect all the students. As Christians, we are to think more highly of our brothers and sisters in Christ than of our own comfort and needs. Every parent wants to send their student to campus in the fall with the assurance that they will be as protected as possible.

• Sarah Gump says:

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing. We value your feedback. It is our goal to gather again in the fall in a way that is safe and sensible, and is conscious of those who are most at-risk.

• Sena E Nunley says:

Yes! Our son is so anxious to get back to his life and classes there. We pray everything will go smoothly – including bringing our beloved Dr. White back!

• Julie Blubaum says:

Great news! Will the ICC in Columbus follow the same calendar ( for the Innovative and Industrial Design students?) Thank you.

• Sarah Gump says:

Hello Julie! Please reach out to the faculty from the ICC for more information regarding the calendar!

• Anonymous says:

Our family is thrilled to have our first College student sent from home and to Cedarville!

Your response management to this crisis and continued focus on trust in the Lord and honoring our authorities has only affirmed our prior impressions.

The Light shines through you greatly, and we all hope to get to come for drop off of our Freshman in August!

To God Be the Glory!

• Susan Webb Smith says:

I am so happy to hear about this plan for both new and continuing students. I remember my first year at Cedarville in 1967. I was so excited to be starting a new chapter in my life and was both expecting and looking joyfully for God to work in my life . One of my best memories are of the Christian friendship I made. I will pray for God’s blessings and direction as preparation continue. As I recall when I was a student there we were off from Thanksgiving until the New Year , also.

• Anonymous says:

Our family is so thrilled that you are preparing to open in the Fall. I do have a concern about the possible negative side effects of wearing a mask long term, not to mention the emotional effects of not seeing smiling faces etc. Please continue to dig deep with health officials (and the Mighty Healer) on this matter.

• Judy Harris says:

Our daughter is missing her friends at Cedarville and ready for August to get here. Thank you for everything this University does leading the students in the right path.

• Alecia Barlow says:

Thank you for being proactive!!!! Our daughter can not wait to come back and be with her CU family!

• Jan Wismer says:

Thank you for MOVING AHEAD and not dwelling in fear.

• Etiel says:

Thank you for all your effort! God will guide Cedarville University! The Bible says in Romans 8:28
    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 😊

• Anonymous says:

I would love it if you could just open normally! Let that be the family unit for the semester and everyone is just in it together!

• Dee Morris says:

Hooray!!!!! I am excited to begin this year!! I have known I wanted to be on a college campus in some capacity since an October day long ago, when I walked across my Alma Mater’s campus while our library chimes were playing the melody “The Halls of Ivy”. I’ve never forgotten that day, and I’ve been privileged to spend most of my life on campuses large and small, at least part-time. I admit to being a sentimental old prof, so perhaps that will explain why I will struggle to hold back tears of happiness when I meet my first class of fall 2020.