July 14 Update: Fall Events, Chick-fil-A Exchange Meals, and Fac/Staff Sessions

July 14, 2020 |

The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him. (Psalm 28:7)

This week’s updates include protecting our campus community and the impact on fall campus events, using meal exchanges at Chick-fil-A, Getting Started information for new students, a quick guide to important return-to-campus contacts, a first look at the annual faculty and staff sessions, a new video showing the latest updates to campus, and the anticipated release of our fall Caring Well. Staying Well. operating plan.

Fall Campus Events – As we continue to prioritize the health of our students, faculty, and staff on campus this fall, we have decided not to host large group events on campus, including Homecoming and Parents Weekend and Junior Jam. Unfortunately, this also means we will postpone our 2020 Commencement, an event we had deeply hoped to celebrate with our graduates. We will evaluate our hosting plans periodically and may reschedule or resume should conditions change. Check cedarville.edu/events for the latest calendar updates.

Chick-fil-A Exchange Meals – We are getting excited for the grand opening of the new Chick-fil-A on campus, and we think you’ll be excited about the exchange meal options! Below are details on how students can use their meal plan exchanges at Chick-fil-A:

• Exchange Meal – An exchange meal includes your choice of Chick-fil-A sandwich, spicy chicken sandwich, or Chick-fil-A nuggets plus a side (medium waffle fries or self-serve fresh whole fruit), a self-serve medium fountain beverage, AND a chocolate chunk cookie.
  • Exchange Meal Plus – For those who want something from the menu other than the choices above, choose anything on the menu up to $7.50. Any amount over $7.50 can be paid for using dining dollars, flex dollars, cash, or charge.

Getting Started Update – The STING leadership team wants to pass along the following information this week:

• New students should fill out the ID Portal as soon as possible, if they haven’t already done so.
  • We request that immediate family only accompany students for Getting Started Weekend.
  • New students should check out the new orientation course called Yellow Jacket Prep. This course works like an easy-to-use website with information you need to know as a Cedarville student. You’ll find information on getting involved on campus, adjusting to residence hall life, connecting to Wi-Fi, using CedarPrint, and much more. Log in to cedarville.edu/culearn to access this course and get started on your journey as a Yellow Jacket!

Contacts List – As you prepare to return to campus, here is a convenient list of campus contacts to answer commonly asked questions.

Faculty/Staff Sessions – The annual Faculty/Staff Sessions will be held in person on Friday, August 7, and are being planned with the protection of our employees in mind as we return to campus and prepare for the upcoming year. Please connect with your supervisor if you have concerns or questions. Updates to this year’s event:

• All sessions will be held in-person in the chapel with social distancing maintained. There will be no Zoom option for the day.
  • Faculty and staff are expected to wear masks (unless exempt), pursuant to the Governor’s Responsible Restart Ohio plan for higher education. Yellow Jacket-branded masks will be provided for all employees, or you are welcome to bring your own.
  • The annual faculty/staff service awards will be presented via video with honorees acknowledged from the floor.
  • Boxed lunches will be provided; faculty and staff will be able to enjoy the meal in small groups at locations around campus.
  • Beverages will be provided throughout the day, but we will not be able to serve the standard continental breakfast.

Getting Ready for Your Arrival – Construction on the three new facilities is nearing completion. All we’re missing is YOU! We can’t wait to have students back on campus in just a few weeks. Take a look and join in our excitement!

Caring Well. Staying Well. Guide – Late this week, Lord willing, we will release the comprehensive Cedarville University COVID-19 Operating Plan, which will outline our strategies and protocols for living, learning, and working in community during this academic year. Guided by Philippians 2:3-4, our planning is focused on balancing two priorities:

• Providing a vibrant residential experience for our students
  • Maintaining a healthy work and study environment for our entire campus community

We are seeking to remain flexible and responsive, ready to adapt our plans as needed.

Posted in: , , , , ,

44 Comments

• anonymous says:

One of the guiding principles is to clean areas one uses like dorm rooms, classrooms and offices. Will CU be providing cleaning supplies in all of those spaces for use?

• Sarah says:

Hello. In the classrooms, faculty will have cleaning supplies to wipe down teach carts. In the residence hall, students are encouraged to clean and sanitize their own personal space. In regards to the office, we encourage you to reach out to your supervisor and administrative assistance to confirm the specific operational plan for your area.

• Naomi Herman says:

I’m so thankful that there are still in person classes. I understand why some people would like to do online classes, but I’m not one of them. I’m excited to go to classes with fellow students who also feel comfortable enough to go.

• Bruce Martin says:

I have a question concerning the daily chapel event. I love that there is chapel but am concerned about the numbers of students gathering in one place on a daily basis due to the virus. Will there be any precautions taken such as social distancing, wearing of masks or various chapel attendance times to lesson the numbers gathered? From a concerned parent.

• Sarah Gump says:

Hello, Bruce! Great question! We will be releasing the comprehensive guide this week which will explain our entire plan for the fall semester, including chapel.

• Cindy Martin says:

• Sarah Gump says:

Hello, Cindy! Thank you for your feedback. We will release the comprehensive guide this week and I believe the plan will answer some of your questions.

• Avery Bevin, MD says:

I just want to say as a physician that having the students attend college in person is so incredibly important, and the risks for infection can be mitigated just as they have been in Denmark, Germany and so many other countries since as early as April of this year. Thank you to all the staff and faculty at Cedarville for working so hard in preparing for the students’ arrival. My freshman son cannot wait to start!

• Sarah Gump says:

Hello, Avery! Thank you for your comment. We look forward to having your son on campus in the fall!

• anonymous says:

I would like to know if cleaning and sanitizing resources (spray, wipes, cloths) will be provided and available by the university in all of those spaced mentioned like dorm rooms, classrooms and offices.

• Sarah says:

Hello, there! Cleaning supplies will be provided for faculty in the classroom. Please contact your supervisor or administrative assistant for the operational plan for your department. In the classrooms, students are encouraged to take personal responsibility and clean their own living space.

• Amanda Brooks says:

I thought that I had previously read that the Sunday morning service for freshman and families was still happening, but I didn’t see it on the linked schedule. Could you clarify for me? Thank you.

• Sarah says:

Hello, Amanda! The Sunday Morning Service during Getting Started has been cancelled. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

• Ryan says:

Appreciate your work and patience Sarah! Thanks for all you are doing to communicate openly and graciously!

• Kristin says:

If I have a freshmen whom is in need of work study, when can they choose/apply for their job?

• Jedidiah says:

When covid inevitably starts going around campus will we be required to go home? What are the odds that we will be sent home? I like cedarville but I do not wish to waste my money with another incomplete semester

• Sarah Gump says:

Great question, Jedidiah. We are doing everything we can to maintain a healthy environment. By practicing good hygiene and healthy habits, you will contribute to the healthy environment. It is our goal complete the semester residentially. Therefore, please help us and encourage your friends and classmates to wash their hands and be clean. 🙂

• Eunice Floyd says:

Is there any meetings for Freshman parents when we drop the student off? Do we have to leave right away ?

• Concerned Parent says:

I found this comment in the Staff/Facility section-
    “Faculty and staff are expected to wear masks (unless exempt), pursuant to the Governor’s Responsible Restart Ohio plan for higher education. Yellow Jacket-branded masks will be provided for all employees, or you are welcome to bring your own.”
    This feels like a double standard. Let me know if I am in correct. I wish this standard would be applied to our students also.

• Sarah Gump says:

I apologize for the confusion. For faculty and staff, the University is their place of work and therefore, mask wearing is expected. For students, the University is their home and mask wearing is encouraged. It is our expectation for all members of our community to esteem others as higher than themselves and wear masks.

• Concerned Parent says:

I too wish masks were required for students. I know they will be encouraged to wear them but I don’t think they will unless they are expected to wear them. 🙁 My daughter will have to because she is immunocompromised. She will feel out of place if she is in the minority.

• Cindy Martin says:

I am also a concerned parent who would like the masks to be worn by students. If the masks are only encouraged for students, they most likely won’t wear them. It just takes one to get the virus and to spread it. Then what happens?

• Anonymous says:

I’m not looking forward to the future homecomings where the class of 2020 is laughed at for never graduating…

• Sarah Gump says:

I am very sorry. It was not our desire to postpone it again and I apologize for the disappointment.

• Mary Capaldo says:

RA’s have not yet reached out to students (esp. new students) so parents are not aware of any RA plans for new students concerning move in weekend. Families traveling far in order to set up and drop off do not know how to make plans for hotel accommodations, ie: number of evenings before hitting the road again for the long drive home.

• Sarah Gump says:

Hello, Mary! Getting Started Weekend is planned by Campus Experience, not the resident assistants. I apologize for the confusion. If you have any questions about move-in times, please email the STING team at sting@cedarville.edu.

• Melissa Carpenter says:

With parents & homecoming weekend being cancelled, does that mean that any parent visits in general are discouraged for this upcoming school year?

• Sarah Gump says:

Hello, Melissa! Great question. Parents are allowed to visit. We are discouraging large gatherings of off-campus visitors. The students’ health is our primary concern, therefore we are trying to maintain a clean environment for them.

• Karen says:

Good Afternoon,
    I am a bit confused. In this update I see that Homecoming has been cancelled and other events where there will be sizable groups gathering. In a previous email I thought that we were told that classes were going to be held on Labor Day but I see that the calendar states no classes on that day. Also, there is a Fall Break that runs for a week in October where there are no classes. I thought that the semester was altered so that all classes would end before Thanksgiving and students would not return until after Christmas. The reason given was so that there would be limited student travel helping to mitigate having them return to campus and possibly bring COVID with them. Not sure how a week off in October fits into the staying well scenario.

Thank you for clarity!

• Sarah Gump says:

Hello, Karen! Thank you for your questions. The fall break on the calendar is for College Now (online) and Undergraduate (online) classes only. In addition, there are no classes on Labor Day for the PharmD students only. I apologize the calendar is confusing. The fall calendar given in the update on June 9 is still the schedule we are following.

• Clay Ooms says:

When will we be able to apply for a position to work at the new Chick Fil A?

• Brian Jervis says:

The exchange meals at Chick-fil-A doesn’t give students with a food allergy many option to have a full meal and stay within the $7.50. Example my son has a gluten allergy so he has to get the grilled chicken and then add on the gluten free bun (which is an extra charge). Once you add fries and a drink you will be over the $7.50.

• Conerned Parent says:

Sarah,
    Has there been a survey sent to the students asking if they would rather do remote learning for the Fall semester? Not requiring masks in classrooms, buildings or residence halls, and having no limits on number of people helping students move in. This has caused concern that all this will increase the spread of the virus even faster. I understand more info is going to be sent out at the end of this week.
    Very happy to read about the changes being made with Fall Campus Events.

• Sarah Gump says:

Thank you for your comment. Our goal is to maintain a healthy work and study environment for our entire campus community. I hope the guide will be useful and show the specific actions we are taking to do so.

• Christina Varney says:

Quick question my daughter is a freshman this year moving in ..when saying immediate family are you asking for parents and siblings or are grandparents apart of what you are thinking?

• Sarah Gump says:

Hello, Christina. Thank you for your question! Grandparents are not encouraged to attend.

• Christina Varney says:

I should have asked is grandpa allowed to help move my freshman in if dad is disabled and unable to physically help move in?😃