1. Student Organizations
  2. Fitness and Recreation
  3. Student Services
  4. Ministries
  5. Chapel
  6. Living on Campus / Dining
  7. Living in Southwest Ohio
  8. Health and Safety
  9. Yellow Jacket Athletics
October 3, 2022 by

Hello, everyone! My name is Maddie, and welcome to a day in my life as a freshman at Cedarville University.  

7:00 a.m. 

On Tuesdays I wake up around 7 a.m. and get my day started early. The first thing I do when I get up is make my bed (because if I don’t, I won’t get out of it!). Then I do all the typical morning things while I listen to my worship music, so I get my day started off in a positive mood and stay focused on God and what He is going to do that day. After I am finished getting ready, I typically do a quick devotion before I head to class.  

8:30 a.m.  

At 8:30 a.m. on Tuesdays I find myself in Mrs. Fox’s Principles of Math 1 class for education majors. I have been learning so much about different teaching strategies, why mathematics is so important in elementary school, and standards that I will meet as an elementary teacher. Mrs. Fox is also a great teacher who is always getting us moving in the classroom and is intentional about us being well-prepared teachers. This is by far one of my favorite classes here at Cedarville  

A mathematics text book, surrounded by a handheld whiteboard and math worksheets.

10 a.m. 

Here at Cedarville, we have chapel every day at 10 a.m. It is one of my favorite parts of the day because I get to worship God alongside my friends. Coming to Cedarville, I was worried that going to chapel every day would get old, but it doesn’t because every day God has something new to tell me through the message and worship. Having chapel every day also reminds us that before we are students, we are followers of Christ and that we need to set aside time in our day to praise Him as a student body.  

Students in the Dixon Ministry Center, also known as the chapel, waiting for the chapel hour to begin.

11 a.m.  

At 11 a.m. I have my next class, which is English Composition. This is just a basic general education class!  In English Composition we are learning about different grammar skills. We just finished our first assignment, which was to write an opinion topic paper. I like this class because it gives me an outlet to express myself through writing. English Composition is also a fun class because there are people from many different majors!  

12:30 p.m. 

Around 12:30 p.m. I usually either stop by Tossed and grab a salad and soup, or I go to the dining hall and get a grab and go meal (which is actually really good and easy if you are in a hurry!). Then I head back to my residence hall to eat quickly, switch out my books, and get any writing assignments or easy homework that we had in English Composition done before my next class.  

2 p.m. 

My Bible and the Gospel class is at 2 p.m. in the Center for Biblical and Theological Studies (BTS), which is my favorite building because of the patio steps outside and the windows. In Bible and the Gospel with Dr. Smith, we are learning the correct way to interpret Scripture. This class is interesting to me because I have never taken any kind of Bible class before. I also really like this class because Dr. Smith encourages us to ask questions and dive deep into what we are reading in the Bible.  

3 p.m. 

At 3 p.m. my “school day” is officially over and I am off to Printy to pack up my books and figure out what homework I need to get done that day. Going back to the residence hall is one of my favorite parts of the day because I get to check in with all my unit mates and see how their days went. The community is my favorite part of dorm life! After packing my bags, I usually head to the library with my friends.  

4 p.m. 

Library time! I really like studying at the library because there are so many places that you can go so it doesn’t get repetitive. There are study rooms you can reserve, whiteboards you can use, desks, computers, talk zones, quiet zones, the Curriculum Materials Center (which is a fun place to study especially if you are an education major!), and of course lots of books! At Cedarville, excellence in academics is important; after all, getting an education that is challenging and rooted in biblical truth is why we are here. So, making sure that I spend time completing my coursework is critical to my success. The college workload can be a bit of a shock (it was for me!), but as long as you plan out time to work on your classes and stay organized, you will do great.  

Three bookshelves filled with books at the Centennial Library.

6 p.m.  

Usually, I head to dinner around 6 p.m. with my friends from my unit. We normally eat dinner at Chuck’s, the dining hall.  

7 p.m. 

On Tuesdays at 7 p.m., I meet with my discipleship group. My group is studying Galatians, and it has been fun so far! My D-group has allowed me to meet a lot of new people that I otherwise wouldn’t have met, and we get to grow in the Word together, which is super cool! D-groups are a big part of the community of Cedarville, and I am glad I get to experience it my freshman year.  

A selfie of blogger, Maddie Smith, surrounded by four friends in a hallway.

8 p.m. 

Depending on how much homework I have left to do, I will either stop back at the library for another hour or I will head back to my residence hall and finish a couple quick assignments there.  

9:30 p.m.  

By 9:30-10 p.m. I start getting ready for bed or relaxing. I like to call my family before the day ends so I can keep in touch with them! After I call them, I take a quick shower and do all the normal winding down things.  

11 p.m.  

Although the exact time I go to sleep is usually determined by how much time all the unit girls and I spend talking, I try to go to bed around 11-11:30 p.m. Sleep is vital for getting through the hectic college days!  

Thank you for joining me on a day in my life! 

Tags: , ,
Posted in: ,