A university’s campus, corn and bean fields galore, a couple of coffee shops. Those might be the only “significant” locations you think of when you think of Cedarville, and although you might be right, there is so much more to Cedarville and the surrounding areas! Being from Cedarville, I can attest that at times, it does feel like there is absolutely nothing “special” about the Cedarville area. However, I can also attest that that claim is false – you just have to know where to look!
From local eateries, to fun activities to do with your friends, you are bound to find some new and exciting local attractions that will make your time at Cedarville even more special. As a local, or “townie,” I want to give you a little tour of Cedarville and its surrounding areas!
As a college student, you definitely want to keep your budget in mind, so eating off campus might not be an option all the time. However, every once in a while, it is fun to venture off campus and grab a bite to eat that isn’t Chick-fil-A, Tossed, or the dining hall, Chuck’s. And luckily, there are quite a few food options in local areas, and a couple of options IN Cedarville!
- Colonial Pizza – who doesn’t like pizza? Colonial’s has been around and serving the community since 1981. But they don’t just serve pizza – they have a variety of subs, appetizers, and delicious breadsticks!
- Lola’s Mexican Restaurant – I might be biased because Mexican food is my favorite, but you cannot go wrong with a delicious meal from Lola’s! If you go down during lunch time, you will be able to order off the lunch menu which will save you a few bucks. They have a variety of Mexican dishes, appetizers, and DELICIOUS desserts (I recommend the churros or Chango cheesecake)!
- Mom and Dad’s Dairy Bar and Grill – located right across from campus, you have the delicious Mom and Dad’s! Here, you will be able to find a large ice cream menu, along with different appetizers, and a selection of subs and other sandwiches. Mom and Dad’s is perfect for that late-night ice cream run!
- Chipotle – you can never go wrong with the classic staple, Chipotle! You can never go wrong with a burrito or burrito bowl.
- Skyline Chili – if you’re not from Ohio, you might not be familiar with Skyline Chili. Now, it definitely isn’t for everyone, but you should try it while you’re in Ohio just to say you’ve tried it! They have their famous three-ways (their famous chili, spaghetti, and cheese), or a classic coney dog.
- Penn Station – a warm, grilled sub sounds great, right? Well, that’s what Penn Station is known for – especially their Philly cheesesteaks! Not only do they have grilled subs, but they also have cold subs, fresh-squeezed lemonade, and warm French fries!
- Young’s Jersey Dairy – like Skyline, if you’re in the area, you must stop by Young’s Dairy! Young’s isn’t just a place to grab a bite to eat – it’s also a local attraction. They have homemade (or jersey made?) ice cream, crispy cheese curds, and a large menu of other burger and sandwich options.
- Miguel’s Tacos – Yellow Springs, like Cedarville, is a smaller town. However, they do have the delicious Miguel’s Tacos! Along with tacos, they have burritos, quesadillas, and even burrito bowls.
- Bentino’s Pizza – if you want to try a new, local pizza place, Bentino’s is GREAT! They have a large menu of different types of pizza, subs and sandwiches, and some yummy garlic knots.
- FUSIAN – if you’re a fan of sushi, I highly recommend FUSIAN. Not only are they affordable, but they’re also quick and easy. Plus, you get to customize your own sushi roll or bowl!
- Piada Italian Street Food – similar to FUSIAN, Piada is an affordable and quick Italian option! They have a large menu where you can customize your own pasta bowls, select from their pre-selected menu, chopped salads, or try a hand-rolled piada (Italian-style wrap).
- Dad’s Wings and Burgers – if you want to try a smaller, “hole in the wall” American-style place, I recommend Dad’s Wings and Burgers. Their menu is kind of small, but they do have options other than wings and burgers; however, I would recommend both of those options!
- Raising Cane’s – chicken fingers, fries, and Texas toast… how could you go wrong? Keep it simple and grab a meal at Cane’s!
- COHatch – if you want a fun environment while you eat, GO TO COHatch! This location has a variety of different vendors where you can find an array of different types of food. From waffles at Ironworks (my recommendation), to a burrito from The Painted Pepper, or sushi from Hikari Moe Sushi, you are bound to find something delicious!
- Cracker Barrel – a quick brunch at Cracker Barrel? Yes, please! If you enjoy some country-style cooking, then head to Cracker Barrel for some pancakes, or maybe some chicken and dumplings!
I could probably go on and on with food options, but I’ll keep it short and sweet. Each location has a lot to offer, so try something on the list, or do some exploring and find something I didn’t mention! Now, onto the local attractions that Cedarville and its surrounding areas have to offer.
- Indian Mound Reserve & Cedar Falls – hiking is a great way to stay active and fit, and luckily, Cedarville has amazing trails for you to explore!
- The Town – Cedarville is a great area to explore as a whole! Although it is small, it is the perfect place to just walk around and explore – especially the “downtown” area, where you can find the local coffee shops, public library, and the opera house.
- Young’s Jersey Dairy – Young’s isn’t only a place to get food or ice cream, it’s a fun location to do numerous activities with your friends! They have miniature golf, batting cages, a driving range, AND, you have the opportunity to feed/pet the farm animals.
- Glen Helen Nature Preserve – the areas around Cedarville are beautiful places to explore, especially the Glen Helen hiking trail.
- The Town – like Cedarville, Yellow Springs is a fun town for you to just walk around and explore! Although Yellow Springs and Cedarville are very different, you are bound to find something interesting while walking around Yellow Springs.
- The Mall at Fairfield Commons – who doesn’t love a good trip to the mall? Not only will you be able to find an array of shops, but you’ll also be able to grab something to eat, AND stop by the arcade, ROUND1!
- The Greene – outdoor shopping might be even better than indoor shopping! The Greene is an outdoor shopping center, full of fun shops and a variety of restaurants. Here, you’ll also be able to enjoy live music, or head to Cinemark for a movie!
- National Museum of the US Air Force – for an educational, but also entertaining attraction, you can stop by the local Air Force museum! Not only will you be educated and entertained, but you’ll also be saving some money because admission AND parking is FREE!
- Great Escape Game Dayton – do you think you and your friends can think your ways through an escape room? Well, put it to the test at the Great Escape Game in Beavercreek! Escape rooms are the perfect activity for you and all your friends on campus.
Cedarville and the surrounding areas welcome you! During your time at Cedarville, you are bound to find something new and exciting to experience (or eat), so be sure to explore the local areas. There are so many more places to discover that I didn’t mention!
Your 1,000 days at Cedarville will not only be special and memorable ON campus, but off campus as well. Take advantage of all the opportunities that Cedarville and the surrounding areas offer – make memories with your friends, try new things, and just try to take it all in!
Student Life Blog Manager
- Majoring in Communication with a minor in Writing for the Professions — Class of 2025
- Hometown: Cedarville, OH
- Coffee Order: BNC Mocha at Beans-n-Cream
- Favorite Bible Verse: 1 Peter 5:7