October 3, 2024 by

The beauty of Cedarville is that faith is intertwined in its curriculum. When you take classes, the professors pray for you, and you are constantly surrounded by God-fearing people who will drop everything to support you. Nevertheless, classes can become overwhelming, leading to stress and anxiety. This may seem intimidating; however, Cedarville provides several opportunities to help students manage their stress while strengthening their faith.

Growing Your Faith While Balancing Your Academics

Throughout my life, I have experienced a lot of anxiety. Coming to Cedarville was a big adjustment, and it was extremely stressful. As classes began, I feared I would be unable to overcome these challenges. That’s when I began to learn the importance of balancing my academics and my faith.

For most of my life, my academic success and how others perceive me have been major concerns. These insecurities rear their ugly heads daily, but with Cedarville’s support system, the weight is manageable. Cedarville can overwhelm you — in a good way — with the love of Jesus. Fall Bible Conference makes me cry every year, and every step on campus is a reminder of God’s presence. Almost all of my professors pray before class, which gives me peace throughout the day. My classmates pray for me and with me. My roommate and other girls in my dorm ask me about my day with genuine kindness and a smile. I always feel so loved by the Cedarville community.

However, even with the amazing community, you may feel stress creeping in at times. And don’t worry, that’s normal! The thing I have found most important to relieve stress is finding time to be alone: time to breathe, time to rest, time to reflect on God’s goodness, and time to get in the Word. It can be hard to shake off everything from the day, like homework, exams, and social activities, but it is important to clear your mind and focus on God. Although Cedarville gives you never-ending moments to experience God, it is so very important to actively make time to choose to be with Him.

My friend Grace, who is a sophomore, recommends making time throughout the day, especially when she’s feeling stressed or needs a breather, to get in the Word. It’s never a waste of time to cultivate a relationship with Jesus. His Words are very powerful. Keep His Word in your heart and recite it continually. Psalm 23 has encouraged me tremendously, as well as 2 Timothy 4:17a, “But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me…” God is always near to give you the strength you need.

Madie Clawson and her Discipleship Group.

On the academic side, the best advice I have is to not procrastinate (p.s. I am a major culprit here). But don’t be like me! Look ahead and see what assignments you have. Try to work on bigger assignments days in advance — little by little. Unfortunately, there may be situations when you won’t have time to do assignments in advance or complete them to your ideal standard. That’s okay! Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Do what you can. Prioritize assignments and plan out more time for more important tasks and less time for others. Pray through every day. God’s got you!

Spiritual Support Provided at Cedarville

Although spending time alone is important, it is also beneficial and essential to spend time socializing. Make friends with classmates and dormmates. Put yourself out there; it’s definitely hard but so worth it. Cedarville provides so many opportunities for you to meet new people and to fellowship with them.

One of the biggest spiritual growth opportunities Cedarville provides is discipleship groups (known as d-groups around campus). These are groups of students who meet weekly to talk about a book in the Bible or a Christian book. They are divided into women’s and men’s groups, making it easier to be vulnerable while digging deeper into the Word. What I think is super cool about them is that they are led by fellow college students! In my experience, d-groups are such a fun way to meet new people, step out of your comfort zone, and grow in your faith.

(insert picture here)

You can also get involved by joining one of the many student organizations. There are plenty of organizations that are just for fun, but also plenty that get you involved spiritually. Some include Sanctify, Students for Life, Missions Org, Hearts for Homeless, and many more. These organizations are filled with students like you who truly want to make a difference. And they do make a difference! Cedarville is a bubble of Christian people, and it’s amazing to be here, but it is also important to go outside of the Christian realm to share your faith and love for people. What better way to do it than with your classmates? I recommend you get out of your comfort zone and try something new!

Finally, Cedarville provides free counseling services. You can make appointments whenever you need, as long as a counselor is available. They are licensed counselors who incorporate biblical truths in their sessions. Their aim is to help you care for your spiritual and mental health. You don’t have to commit to continuous sessions; you can go here and there, once, or weekly. It’s up to you! These resources are here to help you grow closer to God and live joyfully.

When you decide to come to Cedarville, there will be stressful times. But more importantly, there will be times of immense joy and gratification. There will always be people to love you and guide you in the right direction. You are never alone. Jesus is the heart of campus, and you can tell the moment you arrive.

Tags: , ,
Posted in: ,