October 18, 2018 by

Like many other students, I’ll be staying on campus during the upcoming fall break. Personally, I’ll be doing a lot of relaxing and playing board games with friends. Luckily, there are plenty of things that students can do with their long weekend, either within close proximity to campus or at a day-trip length! I’ll focus on a few of my favorites here.

Escape Rooms

Escape rooms have been growing in popularity over the last few years, and for good reason. In these establishments, a group of people have to work together to solve puzzles, both of mental and physical varieties, to escape a series of rooms. There are loads of quality escape rooms within a day trip drive from Cedarville, including Dayton’s Breakout Games. They can be great for just three people to explore, and many places accept very large groups!

Yellow Springs

Growing up in the Midwest, I’ve visited a lot of unique little towns, and of those, Yellow Springs is probably the most interesting. It features a lot of cool little shops, including ones for vinyl records, glass work, and comic books! There are two bookstores, three coffee shops, and even a store that sells the pottery of different artists. It’s just a 15-minute drive from Cedarville and, in my opinion, every student should try to visit at least once.

Indian Mound Reserve

If you’re looking for an activity that’s both outdoors and close to home, Indian Mound is the way to go. Located right outside of Cedarville, it covers 169 acres and has loads of walking trails. There is also the actual indian mound, a massive burial hill that you can climb. It’s a bit of a workout to get to the top. I try to go there to walk with my friends or by myself as often as I can. It’s within easy walking distance from campus, or you can drive there!

The National Museum of the United States Air Force

Located just a half hour drive away from campus, the Air Force Museum is a great way to spend an afternoon. It’s chock-full of airplanes ranging from some of the earliest gliders to the Air Force’s most recent declassified tech. Best of all, it’s completely free. I’ve gone to this museum every year I’ve been a student and I’m planning on getting a group to go with me again soon as well.

Columbus Day Trip

If you’re looking to adventure a bit beyond Cedarville, I’d recommend making a day trip to Columbus, one of Ohio’s largest cities. It’s an hour away from Cedarville, so it’s a bit of a drive, but it’s well worth it. Once you’re there, your options are basically limitless. Personally, I’d recommend hitting up the Columbus Museum of Art ($8 admission with a student ID) and the Columbus Coffee Trail, a coalition of great coffee shops scattered throughout the city. If you visit enough of them, you can get a free T-shirt!

There are a lot of options for activities; these are just a few suggestions! Go out and explore the surrounding areas. There are plenty of great things to do. I hope you have a great fall break. Know of some fun stuff that I should know about? You can hit me up on Twitter or Instagram, both @Caljoones.

Till next time!

Tags: , ,
Posted in: , , ,