January 22, 2019 by

I’m not gonna lie, going into this Missions Conference, I was a bit skeptical. Actually a lot more than a bit: I was very skeptical. After all, right now I’m pretty sure I’m not called to full-time missions, so what would be the point of all of it? I probably don’t even have to pay attention, right?

Wrong.

Dr. Kevin Ezell’s deep southern drawl immediately captured my attention to his topic: the Gospel — not weeklong missions trips, not distant countries, not some life-changing experience. The most important thing is the Gospel, and the Gospel can be shared anywhere at any time by any one of us. In fact, we are ALL called to share our faith, not just pastors and teachers or great leaders. Dr. Ezell empathized with those of us who think that we might not be capable or we’re not the type of person to reach others. However, it’s not about you; it’s about who God wants you to reach. As Dr. Ezell put it, “Don’t underestimate the power of God.”

Wow, what an incredibly powerful thing to think about. We’re talking about the God of the universe here. Maybe He can use you on a weeklong missions trip, or maybe He could use you today right now to talk to your neighbor. It doesn’t even matter whether you “feel” capable or not. Don’t underestimate the power of God.

Some people believe that they have to be “called to missions” in order to share their faith, but believe it or not, we’re all called. In Acts 1:8, Jesus says that YOU will be His witnesses. You’ve been empowered to do extraordinary things, not because you are extraordinary, but because of the Holy Spirit — not your personality, your money, or anything else you think you might have.

It would take a lot longer than a blog post to include all the details of the Missions Conference, but let me conclude by saying this: I’m pretty cynical of people who go to some distant country for a week and come back with their life “changed,” and they go on and on about how “blessed” they are. But who am I to be so judgmental of them, because at least they’re doing something.

What am I doing to tell people about Jesus?

I don’t have to go to a foreign country. I don’t even have to go to a different state. Acts 1:8 tells us to go to our community, and then go to our country, and then go to the ends of the earth.

And there is no better time than right now to start.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in: , , ,