1. Student Organizations
  2. Fitness and Recreation
  3. Student Services
  4. Ministries
  5. Chapel
  6. Living on Campus / Dining
  7. Living in Southwest Ohio
  8. Health and Safety
  9. Yellow Jacket Athletics
September 16, 2020 by

Do you constantly hear how incredible Cedarville University is because you are a part of a family full of alumni? Have you watched Cedarville transform your siblings’ lives and impact their future? Do you wonder how you are going to live up to their accomplishments and break away from their shadow? Have you helped move your siblings to campus year after year, wondering when it would be your turn to be a part of Getting Started Weekend? 

If you answered yes to any of these questions, I am thrilled to know that you and I have something in common. My name is Nathan Mumme, the youngest of five siblings to complete their quest through the cornfields of Ohio. I am from where the stars at night are big and bright *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* Deep in the Heart of Texas! (If you got that reference, we are already best friends. If not, go listen to this song.) I want to share with you about how I tried to make my time at Cedarville unique, while valuing the experience of my family members that went before me because it is possible! 

I knew I was going to Cedarville from a very young age. To be completely honest, I can’t remember a time when I didn’t know that I would end up here. My oldest sister went off to Cedarville when I was just 6 years old; that was the first of many trips to Cedarville with my family. We made the 22-hour drive from San Antonio, Texas, to Cedarville more times than I can count. This made Cedarville almost feel like a second home. But with five siblings going before me, I felt like I had big shoes to fill. I wanted to learn from their successes and failures, but also make my experience my own, not just a collection of their experiences.

-Picture taken May 2011-

So how did I make my experience my own? Lots of work and putting myself out of my comfort zone.et me give you a few tips for how you, too, can make your experience your own:

Raise Your Hand! Try new things early so you can see what you like.

You are going to get so many opportunities to put yourself out there in college. Try as many things as you can freshman year. Freshman year is when you are going to have the most free time to participate in things outside of your classes. Believe me, when you get to senior year, classes get tough.

Here is an example from my freshman year: I started out as a sport business management major. One day in our freshman intro to sports business class, we had a guest speaker. This guest was the NCAA Compliance Director for Cedarville. He said he was looking to hire some students for the school year. but he didn’t clarify the specifics. When he asked who was interested, I raised my hand. I was the only one in the class. Fast-forward a few days, and I was his new personal assistant. As a freshman! Just because I raised my hand and said yes.

Make friends with a few upperclassmen.

Upperclassmen will know campus and the people here way more than you do or probably your sibling or parent did. Make friends with them and allow them to show you the ropes and what things they like to do around campus. You might find some great opportunities.

-Picture taken September 2017-

Join organizations and discipleship groups.

These groups are going to allow you to meet unique and different people from all around campus. These people will shape you and help you learn to appreciate your differences but also celebrate the common interests you have. Joining groups is essential to developing yourself as a person and learning from others and their experiences.

Do not say yes to everything. You will get overwhelmed way too fast.

There will be more opportunities and fun things to do available to you at Cedarville than you have probably ever had access to. YOU CAN’T DO THEM ALL. Believe me, I tried. Joining too many organizations and saying yes to everything will make you burn out very quickly. Your experience does not have to be tied to your campus popularity, or the amount of leadership positions you have. 

-Picture taken September 2019-

I am very thankful for my siblings and the example that they set before me, and I learned many lessons from them. I am also thankful for my own unique experience. Our times at Cedarville have changed us in many ways, but I can confidently say that Cedarville has helped me look more like Christ than when I arrived. 

I challenge you to learn from the experiences of the alumni you know, but always be looking for ways to grow and get the most out of your Cedarville experience!

Tags: , , ,
Posted in: , ,