May 4, 2023 by

Have you ever thought about being part of student government at Cedarville? Are you still confused about what student government even is or if you are even qualified? Well, let’s see if I can explain it a little bit more! 

Campus Experience 

Student government at Cedarville falls under a larger system known as the Campus Experience team. There are so many different sub-organizations in this larger team, and you may have heard of some of them! We have teams such as Rinnova, our campus coffee hub; the Campus Activities Board (CAB); they plan Cedarville’s ALT nights; Marketing; Student Government Association (SGA); Class Council; and many more. SGA and Class Council function in very similar roles, and they work closely together.  

Student Government Association 

SGA has a President, Vice President, Chaplain and Chapel Band Leader, an Involvement Director, Campus Community Directors, and a Campus Events Director. Cedarville’s Student Government Association functions as the voice of the student body. They work to listen to Cedarville students, and they take any feedback or concerns to our Vice President. They work to keep the lines of communication open between students and Cedarville’s faculty. 

Class Council 

Cedarville University's Student Government Association's logo.

Class Council is very similar. You may have already guessed the distinction between SGA and Class Council; SGA serves the entire student body, while Class Council serves the specific classes. Class Council contains a President, Vice President, Chaplain, and Women’s Ministry Leader for each specific class—freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior. Just as SGA serves to be the voice of the student body, Class Council works to be the voice of our classes. We take any feedback or concerns to SGA, who then passes it along to the faculty. Each role within Class Council strives to do this well, but we each do it differently. 

Each role on Class Council is instrumental in pulling off the events that we put on. Besides hosting Cedarville’s Got Talent at the beginning of the year, each class normally puts on two big events over the  year, one each semester. I serve on the Senior Class Council, so I have a few more events. In the fall semester, we were able to bless our senior class with donut holes and notes to encourage them throughout their day. We were also able to provide the seniors with Christmas gift bags that held stickers, a keychain with our class logo, and some hot chocolate! I was also able to be a part of planning the 100 days party. This is a party held specifically for the seniors, celebrating their last 100 days on campus. We were able to do a charcuterie board, punch, a photobooth, and a dance party at the end. Each class also has the opportunity to host two chapels over the year. This includes giving announcements, choosing songs, and our specific class chaplains speaking. Besides working individually on events, there are two events that our individual councils work together on. 

The freshman and sophomore councils work to host an event called SoFresh. This event is hosted on campus and is specifically for sophomores and freshmen. The theme changes each year, but it is always a blast to go to with friends! In my time at Cedarville, we’ve had themes like “Happy Birthday” and “Camp SoFresh.” The sophomore and freshman councils spend the majority of the year planning this event, and it is always a hit! 

The senior and junior councils have the chance to plan an event famously known as JS. This night has been a classic Cedarville event for many years. One of my coworkers even got engaged at her JS formal years ago! JS is a night specially catered to Cedarville’s juniors and seniors. We celebrate the seniors’ past four years at Cedarville and look forward to the juniors moving into their last year. The night is full of dancing, food, and just a sweet time making memories with friends. I have the opportunity to help plan this event and to work on the decorations committee. The juniors and seniors meet together regularly to plan this event, and it honestly is bonding as a group. One of my favorite things about Class Council is the friendships that I have made with others on the team, specifically within the group of Women’s Ministry Leaders. 

Women’s Ministry 

Female Cedarville University students gathered together at a Womanhood meeting.

I serve as the Senior Class Women’s Ministry Leader, so my role is a little bit different than the rest of Class Council. While I am still an active participant in the normal Class Council duties and activities, I also  plan events specifically for the women on Cedarville’s campus. I am one of four other women who help plan these events known as Womanhoods. We host about six events, and each Womanhood is different. Our goal is to focus on struggles and topics that we see the women on campus struggling with. The event normally lasts about an hour and a half, and it consists of teaching from Scripture, group discussion, and a panel question and answer time. This year, we have hosted events focusing on topics such as serving in the church, leadership, singleness, and mental health. Each Womanhood always is an encouragement to me, reminding me of the truths of Scripture. The Lord is always faithful in providing for these nights.  

Besides hosting Womanhood, my team and I get the chance to intentionally meet with the women on campus and be a resource for them. This is something that I have always been passionate about, so I love having the chance to disciple the women around me. It truly is about being genuine and having a listening ear. Being able to encourage those around me inevitably encourages me as well. Discipling others and meeting with the women around me are things that I was able to do without the title of Women’s Ministry Leader, however, I meet with people I never would have met outside of this position. It allows me to share the truth of God’s Word with so many people, encouraging them in menial tasks, or walking with them through difficult seasons.  

Being the representative for the senior class has been special, as I am able to encourage the women through this transitional season as they prepare to graduate. There are so many unknowns, yet I have the gift of an opportunity to remind the women of the senior class that there is Someone who is all-knowing, and that He holds each of their days in His hand. The Lord has been faithful to reassure even me in this process. 

Just Go for It! 

To be completely honest, I never thought that I would be in this position. I did not think that I was qualified or had any of the right characteristics. However, I knew the Lord was asking me to step into the role, so I chose to follow Him rather than my fear of inadequacy. Let me be the first to encourage you that this is always the best choice. God has worked through my inadequacies to show His sufficiency, and He has blessed me abundantly while being in this role.  

So, if you are thinking about being part of student government but are feeling inadequate, that is the best place to be. Let the Lord use you and encourage you in every position you are in—leadership or not. He will grow you in ways that you cannot imagine, and He is faithful to reveal His character in abundance.  

Tags: , ,
Posted in: ,