May 16, 2023 by

“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others” (Phil. 2:3-4). 

My trip with Global Outreach to Atlanta, GA, is not my first time going on a missions trip. At the end of my freshman year, I traveled to Italy for a two-week camp ministry. Walking away from the trip, I knew I wanted to create an impact both internationally and domestically. As the sophomore year approached and the upcoming spring and summer break trip schedules came out, I felt drawn to the spring break trip to Atlanta.

A group of Global Outreach students, posing together for a group photo in their matching orange shirts.

The trip’s description combined two of my favorite things, serving refugees and medical missions. I prayed about it, and here I am recounting the impact it had on me!  

DAY #1: Bethesda Clinic  

On our first full day, the team and I served at Bethesda Clinic in Canton, GA. The clinic had two locations, but the one I served was a mobile clinic. Unfortunately, the mobile clinic was broken. So, the church where the clinic is located allowed us to use its facility. I enjoyed working at the church location instead of the office because it allowed me to work firsthand with the refugees. No one needed to have an appointment, so they could come and go as they pleased.   

While at the clinic, I worked alongside a medical assistant. The medical assistant and I checked in with each patient and took their vital signs. I did this for most of the day, but toward the end, I was able to shadow the physician assistant along with another team member. The first day was a great experience because it allowed me to use my nursing skills and learn more about the locals and workers at Bethesda Clinic in Canton, GA.  

We ended the night by eating at Halal Guys, which is an Egyptian-style restaurant. Part of the goal for the trip was to try food from different cultures.   

DAY #2: Hindu Temple and Jolly Avenue Garden 

For our second day, we had quite the agenda! Our first item on the list was to visit the Hindu Temple, “BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Atlanta,” in Lilburn, GA.  The pictures of the Temple do not do justice — the intricacy of how it was put together was only outweighed by its beauty. Our tour guide explained the temple was built with a lock and key system. This meant that not a single piece of the structure contained a screw. The other fascinating fact was the marble structure was first manufactured in Italy, transported to India to be hand carved, and then shipped to America to be assembled. Once the 34,000 hand-carved pieces arrived in the U.S., the structure took about two years to assemble.  

Once inside, we saw the different gods and rituals the Hindus practice. As I observed the people coming in and out, I felt sympathetic. These people had it all wrong and seemed lost. They based their religion and faith on offering material things and routinely worshipping their gods.   

We learned details of the Hindu religion when a former Hindu came to Encompass World Partners and shared his story of growing up practicing Hinduism. The most fascinating fact he provided was that Hinduism contains more than 33 million gods, and those numbers continue to increase. Hinduism was the most complex religion of the three we encountered.   

After the Hinduism orientation, we enjoyed a nice meal at an Indian restaurant before heading to a refugee service project.  

Our refugee service project helped out the Friends of Refugees at Jolly Avenue Garden in Clarkston, GA. While there, our job was to help organize their recently renovated office and another off-site apartment. I have a background in doing many service projects, so I was excited to help others stay organized so they could effectively serve those in need.   

The individuals at the Garden were so appreciative of our help, it moved us to help them out. While we were there, they explained to us that the Jolly Avenue Garden serves as a refugee garden (fruits and vegetables from the refugees’ home countries) but also as a place for young children to work, intern, and attend summer camps.   

DAY #3: Buddhist Meditation and First Health Screening Clinic 

After a good night’s sleep, our day started very early on Wednesday so we could attend an 8 a.m. Buddhist meditation in the suburbs of Atlanta. It was interesting to see how Buddhist meditation differs from the meditation I use to reflect on my day. We had the opportunity to talk with the leader of the meditation afterward. As she spoke and answered our questions, I could tell how she was so close yet so far from the truth. When one person from our team explained that she put her worth and faith in Christ alone, the Buddhist nun explained Buddhism was much like Christianity. Walking away from this experience made me feel deeply saddened for people who put their faith and trust in things other than Christ.  

After leaving the meditation, we headed to Encompass World Partners headquarters for a brief orientation on Buddhism. It is so sad because the idea of Buddhism all lies within oneself. The only way we can change is if we change ourselves without the help of anyone or anything. The goal of Buddhism is to cease to exist. The way to fulfill this goal is by reaching what the Buddhist call “Enlightenment.” I still do not necessarily understand the idea behind Enlightenment, but I do know that the ultimate goal in life is to live for eternity in Christ alone.  

Next, we enjoyed a nice lunch at an Ethiopian restaurant and then headed to our first free health screening clinic at Indian Creek Apartment Homes in Clarkston, GA. When we first arrived, I was a bit nervous having never worked with refugee families. In addition, since they came from different cultures, I did not know how they would react to the way we do some things culturally in America.

A group of students on a medical Global Outreach trip, posing for a picture together in front of a "Free Medical Care" sign.

However, once involved with the health clinic, all my nerves quickly faded away. I enjoyed observing my peers and watching them interact with and provide care to the refugees and their families. However, my favorite part about the health clinic was the little kids who came out to hang with us. My face hurt afterward because I could not stop smiling at all the cute kids! We left a bit later than expected because the children just enjoyed us so much. At the end, so many of the children asked if we were coming back the next day. It made me deeply saddened to tell them we could not because we were headed to another clinic the next day.   

DAY #4: Mosque and Civil and Human Rights Museum Visit  

On Thursday, we began our morning with our last cultural experience at the mosque in downtown Atlanta. I will admit, before attending this cultural experience, I had a preconceived stereotype of Muslim individuals from what I’ve seen on TV or in the news.   

After the visit to the mosque, my stereotype of them diminished. When we spoke with the imam (religious leader of Islam), he was respectful of our differences. In addition, whenever we had questions for him, he was always willing to answer them in great detail.  

My takeaway from Islam is that it is much like Christianity, but they only believe in a works-based kind of faith. In addition, they do not worship Jesus as the son of God because they do not believe Allah (God) had any children.  

We enjoyed a nice lunch at a Mediterranean restaurant down the street from the mosque and headed to the National Center for Civil and Human Rights.   

It was nice to gain more insight into the life of Martin Luther King, Jr., and the impact of his advocacy on mankind.  In addition to Martin Luther King, Jr., the museum also provided insight into global issues concerning civil rights for people and people groups.   

DAY#5: Debrief and Last Health Screening Clinic  

By our last day, I felt sad we had to leave.  I was going to miss the bond created among the team members and our hosts from Encompass World Partners. We had a late start on our last day as the free health screening clinic did not begin until the afternoon. We had Nigerian food for lunch and then headed to our second health screening clinic at Carriage Oaks 2 in Clarkston, GA.   

At this clinic, I was more hands-on. I had the opportunity to take patients’ blood sugar for the first time and measure their blood pressure. This was a two-fold blessing — I furthered my skills and helped others learn more about their health.  

This trip provided many great takeaways and memories. Walking away from this trip, I have more of a desire for missions and serving the underprivileged. In addition, it made me want to volunteer and possibly start a free health screening clinic in my community. The Lord really impacted me on this trip spiritually. My relationship with God was strengthened on this trip because of the different cultural and religious experiences we encountered. The trip made me feel blessed and forever grateful for the loving Father who knows me by name and even knows how many hairs are on my head (Luke 12:7). Coming to Atlanta was one of the best places I could have chosen for a mission trip. It allowed me to see how much people in the States need God just as much as the rest of the world needs Him.   

Tags: , ,
Posted in: