1. Student Organizations
  2. Fitness and Recreation
  3. Student Services
  4. Ministries
  5. Chapel
  6. Living on Campus / Dining
  7. Living in Southwest Ohio
  8. Health and Safety
  9. Yellow Jacket Athletics
July 6, 2023 by

Once I committed to Cedarville, I had to start thinking of what I wanted my major to be. I really had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, as I was only 18. I began exploring all the majors Cedarville offered, even taking the course catalog and scribbling out the majors I knew I did not want to do. I left myself with a few options, one being nursing. I have always loved to take care of people, and I come from a medical-minded family with several doctors and nurses. After thinking about it, I chose that as my major and figured I could create a life out of it. A few weeks into my freshman year, I realized I was wrong and decided it was already time to change my major. I loved the classes for nursing and the professors, but I just could not see myself being a nurse when I graduated. I met with several professors asking them for their advice on what to do, and I stumbled upon psychology. I met with a psychology professor and as soon as our meeting had finished, I knew this was what my next step should be. Second semester of freshman year came, and it was time to start my new major. I became heavily involved in the psychology department, even being on the officer’s board in the organization for it. I loved it, and I loved the professors.  

A year and a half had gone by, and I was finishing sophomore year of college at this point. But something just didn’t feel right. Once again, I would be changing majors. I wanted a broad major, something I could use in a multitude of fields once I graduate. Looking into the communication major at Cedarville, I started to really enjoy the idea of being an event/wedding planner. There were classes listed in the major that would point me in this direction, and I became eager to switch majors for the second time. Going into junior year I was nervous. Was I going to graduate on time? What if I end up wanting to switch majors again? I knew very few people in this new major, but I truly felt this was where God wanted me to be. Fast forward a year to now, and I will be starting my senior year continuing as a communication major and I absolutely love it. I have finally found my major. 

It took me a while to get to this major that will prepare me with a job out of college that excites me and that I want to do. There were many tips that really helped me figure out what to major in. 

• First, make note of what you absolutely do not see yourself doing. If you’re not going to enjoy majoring in it, you are not going to enjoy it for your career. 
  • Second, explore every major that piques your interest. Get that laptop out and search what you can do with a major and see if there is anything you want to explore within that. 
  • Third, find what you’re passionate about. If you’re like me, that may take some time, and that is OK! 
  • Fourth, seek advice from others. Reach out to professors, advisors, parents, friends, etc.; they may see you with a future in something you have not even thought about. 
  • Fifth, take your gen-eds early on. You might find one of these classes intriguing and want to learn more about it. I know several people who took a gen-ed course and ended up changing their major to that field because they loved it! I would also advise taking a career test or going to Career Services. These can be great tools! 

College is a time to figure out what you enjoy most and want to do for a career. Finding a major is about how you can use the gifts and talents God gave you to better the world around you and spread His word. Pray about what major and career God wants you in and look towards where He is pointing you to. You will never make a mistake choosing to go the path that God is leading you to!

Tags: ,
Posted in: