September 24, 2024 by

Classes at 8 a.m. don’t seem too bad at first; after all, we had them for four years during high school! But reality will hit quickly, and you’ll soon find yourself hitting snooze for the third time, your 8 a.m. class forgotten. Making the adjustment to life at Cedarville University takes some time, but here are some ways you can stay on top of your academic schedule:

Set boundaries for your time.

This one’s important: Learn to say no! An occasional late night with friends is fun and even beneficial to your mental health. And an all-nighter here and there to accomplish academic tasks might be necessary. But pulling frequent all-nighters is unsustainable and will ultimately do more harm than any good it may cause. Prioritize homework during the day so you can effectively wind down at night and get a full night of sleep. Learn some tips about time management and managing your academic workload in these short reads.

Prepare the night before.

Decide in advance what outfit you’ll wear. If you’re indecisive, set out a couple! Close all your books and put them in your bag — and don’t forget to charge your laptop. Make a checklist of what you’ll need for that first class and have it ready to pick up and go. You’ll also want to keep screens out of sight for at least 30 minutes before sleeping to ensure a good night’s rest. Building these habits will set you up for a successful, stress-free morning.

Develop a sustainable morning routine.

The best way to ensure you can fulfill your responsibilities is to have a clear morning routine. I have a no-snooze rule. No matter how warm my bed is and how cold my room is, I’m up and making my bed after that first alarm to avoid any temptation to get back io sleep. Another trick is to keep your alarm out of arm’s reach of your bed. You’re much less likely to go back to sleep after getting out of bed.But even beyond your wake-up routine, learn how to have repeatable, successful mornings. Maybe you decide to drink cold water to help you wake up. Maybe it helps to turn your lights on right away. For me, even the order in which I do these things matters so that I don’t have to think about what I’m doing in those early hours.

Some other ideas to include in your morning routine:

• Go to the gym or spend a few minutes stretching. Wake your body up with some movement!
  • Get a cold shower to give yourself a boost of energy.
  • Don’t rely on coffee or other caffeinated drinks to wake you up.
  • Read your Bible in the mornings to wake up your mind and to put on the armor of God right away.
  • Read a book to stimulate thinking and prepare you to engage in class.
  • Find an accountability partner that you can text in the mornings to make sure you’re up.
  • Refrain from screen time for 15–20 minutes to dedicate the beginning of your day to the most important tasks and mental resources.

Plan to be ready 10 minutes before leaving.

I’ve been there. I’ve had times where I leave at 7:56 a.m. to attend a class it takes 9 minutes to walk to. I eventually learned not to challenge myself to see how fast I could make it across campus. I instead decided to get up earlier than necessary and allow myself to have a slow morning. I can begin the day with productive thoughts rather than running around in survival mode. With that routine, I can plan for a 10-minute buffer — even if I’m running behind, I have some room to make up that time without missing class.

By incorporating a few of these strategies into your routine, you’ll be ready for success in your dreaded 8 a.m. class — and you’ll never miss a day.

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted in: , , , , ,