1. About the School
  2. Academic Programs
  3. Accreditation
  4. Alumni Spotlights
  5. Gift Giving
  6. Facilities
  7. Faculty and Staff
  8. The Scope Newsletter
  9. Contact Us
April 15, 2020

With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, PPEs, or personal protective equipment, have been an important topic in healthcare. In the School of Nursing, we’d like to take the idea of PPE in a different direction. It is our hope that as a school we can join together as a community to Pray, Praise, and Encourage.

In less than a month, 113 Cedarville nursing students will have completed the requirements for their B.S.N. and will be eligible to take the NCLEX. Many states, including Ohio, are allowing new grads to postpone that important step so more nurses can be placed on the frontlines for the anticipated surge of COVID-19 patients.

Through these unprecedented times, we are staying in touch with our Cedarville nursing family. Social media connections, emails, zoom, and phone or text conversations allow us to hear from our alumni as well as current nursing students about the impact on them as nurses, students, spouses, parents, children, and friends throughout this time. They are sharing prayer needs, praises for interactions to be the light of Jesus, and offering encouragement to others in this community.

We have an amazing opportunity to share our hopes and fears, lift one another up in prayer, and connect because of our faith and common goal of using nursing as ministry, especially during this time.

Please read a few entries shared below. Pray for all our Cedarville nurses and for the soon-to-be new nurses from the class of 2020. We would love to grow this community of support. Please follow our Facebook and Instagram pages to stay connected and support each other.

@CedarvilleNursing

@cedarvillensg

Read the notes of encouragement and request for prayer from our current and former nursing students:

Sarah Johnson
Class of 2020
Lexington, OH

I am thankful for professors who demonstrate such kindness and grace! I have seen my Senior year Nursing professors show more love through a computer screen than I thought possible! This is so encouraging to me because I hope to one day use nursing as a ministry in another country and will have to communicate with my friends and family via video chats. I now truly believe that community is still possible this way! Watching how my professors have stood beside one another and embraced this new challenge makes me proud to be a nursing major, and proud to go to Cedarville. We are surely led by the most selfless and incredible team! This quick end to my Senior year has made me recognize that I have taken my time as a student for granted. I want to cherish these last moments of learning. For even though I am a hundred miles away, I still am blessed by my wonderful professors!

Mitzi Monroe
Class of 1988
Springfield, OH

Prayers for continued peace in the difficult times. God’s not surprised by this situation and He is in control! Thank you for being the hands of Jesus!!

Caleb Rettig
Class of 2008
Intensive Care Unit
Mount Carmel Health System
Columbus, OH

I would ask for prayers that we (as Christians and nurses) would not live in a spirit of fear. Even in the face of illness or death we have a hope that goes beyond these bodies. I ask that we have a spirit of courage and boldness that people can see our faith in action in these difficult times. I ask that even in adversity we continue to see God’s face in all of this and help us draw nearer to Him. Be smart, use precautions, give your worry and fear to God.

Maddie Feiser
Class of 2019
Lancaster General Hospital
Lancaster, PA

Just experienced my first COVID death. It breaks my heart that these people are isolated and alone during their final moments, even with special allowances for end-of-life visits. Prayers for Christ’s love to break through the isolation and fear this whole virus has brought. My unit is completely filled with positive cases, so I know that it will not be the last death from this disease we experience. Prayers for safety and rest are also appreciated.

Jenna Kaynor
Class of 2023
Mt. Clemens, MI

I am so thankful for a loving family to come home to as well as a nursing school that has worked so hard to transition us to online learning. It has been a hard adjustment but the Cedarville University staff has done an incredible job with helping us to succeed during this confusing time!
I would like to encourage my fellow students as well as those on the frontlines fighting this pandemic with Psalm 118:1: Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!

God is just as good now as he was five months ago, before “COVID-19” became part of our everyday vocabulary. His love endures forever, even through a trying time as this. To those facing this pandemic head-on: you are being prayed for daily by Christians all around the globe. We love you and we won’t stop praying for you, even when this is over!

Kara Foley
Class of 2014
Mayo Clinic
Rochester, MN

Thank you, amazing CU Nursing staff! 6 years later and I am still in awe how amazing my college is! Prayers for the unknown-where I may go, what I may be doing, and when I will get the call. Also, prayers for not getting it and spreading it to my family. Both my husband and I are “essential” and our daycare has been our parents and still is since many daycares won’t let new people in and many have shut down during this time. I am also praying for opportunities to share God, His love, and praying for my patients. My greatest joy as a nurse, using it for His ministry

I also don’t think I would be half the nurse I am today without CU. You guys prepared me to share my testimony, pray with patients, and help them through anxious times. I even led someone to the Lord who had truly never heard of Jesus before two months ago! Being at CU truly helped me see nursing as a ministry and to go in to each shift ready to pray. It sincerely has been such a blessing. I have good friends who are nurses and Christians that I go to church with and they comment that they wish they had the confidence to go in and pray or talk about God. I share what I was taught and encourage them but truly I am so proud and so thankful of CU professors and how much you all pushed us and encouraged us. So much love to you all.

Sarah Gustafson
Class of 2010
Stay at home mom with special needs child
M.Ed. student
Beavercreek, OH

As a special needs mama who relies on medical supply deliveries, we have already been told some things are unable to be filled. Grateful to have a surplus at the moment, praying for it to hold up as long as needed. Also, asking for prayer for my other Spina Bifida mom friends. This is wreaking havoc on needed surgeries and necessary, preventative screenings with specialists. Special needs kids of all kinds are going without the therapies they need.

Jessica Dahnke
Class of 2014
Nurse Manager, Stepdown Telemetry
Good Samaritan Hospital
Cincinnati, OH

The mental health of the staff. For those that don’t have hope in Jesus, this is an exponentially more trying/anxious time. Prayer request for being able to navigate those conversations and offer hope.

Corinne Chadwell
Class of 2021
Oregon

Just a simple praise that all of our professors have worked their hardest to still give us the best possible education and have been SO understanding of our situation. It has been so comforting!

Kara Turing
Class of 2015
Care Net Pregnancy Center of Southern Maryland
Lexington Park, MD

My pregnancy clinics have seen a surge of calls from women asking for abortions. The local planned parenthood is closed and we are praying we can get a chance to share the truth with these scared, vulnerable women. We are praying we can stay open to provide ultrasounds to show them the LIFE they are blessed with. We fear abortions will rise because of the fear of unknown with the virus and future.

Bethany Peterson Markey
Class of 2007
Public Health; School Nurse
Hendersonville, NC

I would agree with everything mentioned above, with an emphasis on PPE and mental health. School nurses in our area have shifted focus to community triage and testing with school closures. Fortunately, we have enough PPE to manage this currently, pray that this continues for our department and hospitals worldwide. Also, our school system has adopted an online learning model, and this shift is causing increased instability for students in an already unstructured environment. Anxiety is high. One last thing- pray that we as the church, in the midst of loss of corporate worship, can find fresh new ways of worship and being the hands and feet of Jesus. Prayers for our Cedarville family!

Abby Wyand
Class of 2021
Baltimore, MD

If you feel anything like me, this entire situation feels surreal and came so unexpectedly. One minute I was driving back to school after spring break, and the next I was driving back home again for the rest of the school year. Because it came so suddenly I feel like I haven’t been able to process what is happening, and am just going through the motions to get my school work and tasks for the day done. I feel as if I am on a long spring break and will be going back to school soon – but that is not the case. However, in these moments when I feel like my brain has not quite adjusted yet, I need to hold on to what I know to be true. I know that this event may seem unexpected to me, but it was planned before the foundation of the world by our Creator. I know that this may not seem like it could be happening right now, but I can trust my God who holds each second in His hands. I know I had so many plans for the rest of the school year, but maybe God is teaching me by closing doors and opening new ones that I would have never gone through had it been for this situation. I hope that in this this transition you can take some time to think about what you know to be true – that the God of the universe is sovereign over all. 1 Corinthians 13:12 says, “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.” It may be hard to process things – but we are not meant to fully understand things now. We are meant to have confidence in our Lord and place our hope in His providence. One day we will see, but for now we trust.

Luke Febrizio
Class of 2016
Surgical ICU
Stony Brook University Hospital
Long Island, NY

Last night was my first night in the COVID ICU (we have I think 2 COVID ICUs so far in addition to our other ICUs at my hospital). Many of these patients are honestly sicker than I would normally get (I’m still less than 1 year in the ICU). You can pray that I’d still be able to provide excellent care despite my inexperience. Also, that I wouldn’t bring anything home to my family. Thank you!

Kelsey Weir
Class of 2015
Labor and Delivery
Saint John Medical Center
Tulsa, OK

My unit has not been hit yet but so many coworkers are extremely fearful and scared of the future. My biggest prayer is that I could respond by loving them well and taking opportunities to talk about the Lord when they arise. People are definitely more open to these conversations and they are desperate for some joy and hope.️ I’m thankful it’s just me so I don’t have to worry about bringing it home. But I’m burdened for my friends who have those concerns. I’m also heavily involved in my granny’s care and she is declining rapidly. Hard not to be there in person with her. The covid unit is down the hall from mine so I don’t wanna risk it.

Abigail Rose
Class of 2013
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Clinical Nurse Educator
Hershey, PA

Thank you for the prayers! Fearful of bringing it home to my ex-preemie son… but I know our God is bigger than any statistic. Trying to keep that in mind!

Carsyn Johnson
Class of 2018
FNP Student, Class of 2020
UCHealth North ER
Colorado Springs, CO

Fears for the MSN students who now have hundreds of hours to make up in our clinical rotations. These hours are already so difficult to complete while working and studying:(

Concern for my husband who deploys to Afghanistan soon where I’m worried he will get sick and not have the care he needs

Lucy Olney Jackson
Class of 2009
Columbus, OH

On my unit, we just transferred out all of our neuro patients last Thursday to convert our entire floor into an all COVID unit. I was in charge Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and it was the worst 3 days of my entire nursing career. My stress levels were through the roof, I cried 3 times yesterday and stayed way after my shift was over to finish my work. We have no ancillary department support, so that makes the nurse the phlebotomist, the transporter, and the housekeeper too on top of caring for our VERY sick patients. We transferred 2 to the ICU. My unit wasn’t staffed to open all of our beds yet, but we were forced to because of where we are located in the hospital. Right now, with all elective surgeries being cancelled, PRAISE God the supervisor is able to staff us with nurses from other floors…. for now. I’m so worried for when this peaks. The rules on how we handle PPE change every single day, it’s so hard to stay informed so I can inform all of the staff. On top of all that, I personally dealt with so much push back from supply trying to get more masks, gowns, and paper bags to put our masks in so we can reuse them. Please pray for us on the frontlines. It’s so so stressful right now.

Laura Polsean
Class of 2016
Riverside Methodist Hospital
Columbus, OH

Pray that we would be strong when needed for our patients, our coworkers, family, friends, etc… but pray that we would give ourselves room and grace to break down when we need to.

Andrea Larson
Class of 2022
Indiana

I am so thankful for our steadfast Lord! He already knew all of this was going to happen just the way it is unfolding before our eyes! I am incredibly thankful for the staff at Cedarville (specifically the School of Nursing) and Dr. White. None of this is “ideal” but it is all part of the Lord’s plan. I have learned to have complete dependence on the Lord because everything else is ever changing. The Lord is constant. He is the one whom I should place my trust. I would encourage those working the frontlines to keep pressing into the Lord. I would encourage my friends to do the same. The Lord will guide us and we are given this time to grow deeper in our relationship with him. We now have the opportunity to be a light in our communities, hospitals, and healthcare facilities to shine the light of Jesus. Keep seeking Him and trusting Him.

Mary Miller
Class of 2014
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles

I’m currently working as a travel nurse in transplant/BMT nursing out here in LA. My hospital has been short on PPE since I started here in February. The hospital tries their best but PPE standards change every day which makes it so hard to protect myself AND my patients. The patients and their parents are stressed. We’re dealing with a lot of misplaced anger from parents (who are stressed due to the new 1 visitor at the bedside rules we’ve put in place) and strangers (nurses have complained that’s customers at local grocery stores and gas stations have been harassing them). I have plenty of food and supplies and am being wise about my travels outside of the house. But there’s just a general anxiety that never ends during this pandemic.

Matthew Belschner
Class of 2014
Kootenai Health Emergency Department
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho

Financial provision, health, and trust. This is a financially trying time for many, my wife and I included. I am thankful to not be out of work like so many across the country. But I am worried that, as the sole bread winner in the family, if I were to catch this virus and be quarantined at home, we would be left without a means to pay my loans, rent and bills in general. I know the Lord will always provide for our needs, but it has, nonetheless, been heavy on my mind.

Joanna Huschilt
Class of 2014
Harper University Hospital
Detroit, Michigan

I work in adult acute care in inner-city Detroit. The last few weeks have been challenging and the most stressful of my nursing career. My unit is completely COVID patients. We have ICU patients on my floor since all the ICU’s are at full capacity. I have recently been reminded that we can have peace in this present time because we know the future. Prayers of course for protection, and for control of this virus, but also that I would have opportunities to share with my co-workers the reason for that peace.

Chloe Wassei
Class of 2023
Oregon

This time is really hard for many people but don’t forget the blessings. One thing I am super thankful for is the beautiful spring weather! I love the clear blue sky and the warm sunshine. I love hearing the birds sing again and seeing flowers bloom all around. Make sure during this time, to get outside and enjoy God’s wonderful creation. Smell the fresh air and soak in the sun. This is His gift to us and we should enjoy it!

Posted in: