1. About the School
  2. Academic Programs
  3. Accreditation
  4. Alumni Spotlights
  5. Gift Giving
  6. Facilities
  7. Faculty and Staff
  8. The Scope Newsletter
  9. Contact Us
January 17, 2024

An Undergraduate’s Togo Story

Dear family and friends,

I would like to share a few things that I learned during my time in Togo, because immersing myself in a cross-cultural environment for a month unveiled insightful perspectives regarding my understanding of God, missions, and myself. We had opportunities to tend to the physical well-being of numerous individuals, while also ministering to their spiritual needs. It was a profound experience to witness prayers being answered before our eyes, reinforcing our faith and deepening our understanding of God’s unfailing love and providence. Much like my previous experiences with medical mission trips, I was once again faced with the reality of poverty, suffering, and death. I found myself grappling with questions about God’s justice and goodness. During a Bible study with a missionary on the field, we discussed the concept of absolute truth and its implications for believers. We reached the consensus that if the Bible represents absolute truth, we must embrace its teachings about God’s character. Even when circumstances appear contradictory, we must affirm that God remains holy, good, and just. Absolute truth goes beyond our personal beliefs, surpassing the boundaries of our perspectives and understandings.

Living life in Togo and working closely with the missionaries provided me with an authentic glimpse into the realities of the mission field. It was a stark contrast to the brief reports we hear on Sunday mornings when missionaries return home on furlough after years away. My time there revealed a wide range of highs and lows that accompany serving on the mission field. Our team shared in both the joys of celebrating a dedicated family’s ministry in Togo and also the sorrows of remembering the death of one of the missionary daughters. Having the chance to witness the sacrifices made by each family for the sake of the gospel was both humbling and encouraging. I was truly inspired by the missionaries’ dedication to pouring into the lives of the Togolese people, as well as their investment in our team during our time there. It was a powerful reminder that they are ordinary individuals who have simply been faithful and obedient to the calling the Lord placed upon their lives.

One of the missionaries shared a valuable insight with us. He acknowledged the tendency to idolize the idea of overseas missions and feel discontented with staying in the United States. There was a point when he believed that being a missionary only counted if it was accomplished overseas. However, he realized that he needed to remain open and follow wherever the Lord led him and his wife. Through his journey, the Lord transformed his perspective, and he adopted the mindset of “planning to go, but willing to stay.” This statement deeply impacted me, as I have encountered many individuals who possess the mindset of “planning to stay, but willing to go.” It highlighted the significant difference in mindset and perspective that can profoundly shape our approach to missions. It is something I will reflect upon as I consider missions for the future.

Departing from Africa, my heart overflows with love for the African people and their vibrant culture. This trip served as a transformative experience that deepened my love for people and ignited a greater passion for sharing the life-changing message of the gospel. I am reminded that missions can take place anywhere and at any time. It is not limited to overseas endeavors or exclusively tied to partnering with mission organizations in third-world countries. As John Piper wisely said, “Missions exist because worship doesn’t.” Our mission is rooted in the pursuit of worship, as we proclaim the joy of knowing Christ to every nation, tribe, and tongue. Through our efforts, we aim to teach others the truth of the Bible and share the good news of Jesus Christ, with the ultimate goal of leading lost sinners to repentance and worship the one true God. This opportunity exists wherever the Lord has placed me, whether it’s spending this summer at home in South Carolina, attending school in Ohio come fall, or wherever I may be in the future.

Now that we have returned, I pray that both our team and myself will persist in obedience, faithfully studying the Bible and devoting ourselves to prayer. For us to actively pursue the worship of the nations, it is essential that our own worship of God serves as the driving force, ignited by the joy within our hearts. Unlike my previous trip to Africa, this time I didn’t leave with a heightened gratitude for the material possessions I have in the United States that are lacking in Africa. Instead, I depart with a deeper sense of responsibility and concern for the pressing physical and spiritual needs that people face. As I witnessed the depths of depravity and the overwhelming need for hope, I am reminded that true and lasting hope can only be found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. This experience has not only enhanced my nursing abilities and cultural awareness but has also deepened my love for the gospel and my relationship with God. I am eager to see how God will continue to direct my steps and use me as a vessel for His honor and glory.

In Christ with love,
Jy Klein

Posted in: