October 15, 2018 by

Hey, Cedarville!

My name’s Cal. Technically, my name is Theodore Callahan Jones, but I’m one of those special people who’s gone by their middle name their entire life, so I just go by Callahan, or Cal. I was named after a road somewhere in the middle of nowhere Tennessee. Callahan Drive. Yeah.

I like to think of myself as a really, really extroverted introvert. I love hanging out with people and I try to make new friends whenever I can, but I still have to run back to my townhouse sometimes to recharge my social batteries. I enjoy reading, playing video games (specifically League of Legends), and playing board games. I also love to listen to music, usually jazz-related genres (and sometimes, Josh Garrels). More recently, I’ve started to listen to a lot of podcasts. My current favorite is 99% Invisible, a show that focuses on the aspects of design that we don’t realize exist.

I’m a senior journalism major with minors in Bible and web design. While I’m not entirely sure that I’ll be going into journalism or web design professionally, I think both of these programs have been perfect for teaching me many important skills that will apply to whatever I do once I get out of school. These skills, such as how to write well, how to communicate effectively one-on-one, and how to think outside of the box and creatively approach problems, are already doing things for me while I’m in school.

I’m actually using some of these skills on campus on the Cedars editors board as the Digital and Design Editor. Cedars is the completely student-run newspaper on campus. As the Digital and Design Editor, I am responsible for our social media, the design of our print issues and online presence, and the upkeep of our website (ReadCedars.com if you’re curious). I’m also on the Student Government Association (SGA for short) Marketing committee. On SGA Marketing, I do a variety of writing and design-related tasks to help SGA and different student organizations communicate with all of you as best as they can. I enjoy doing both of these a lot, and I’m happy for the opportunities they provide.

Anything else … Favorite food? Probably pizza. If coffee doesn’t count as food, that is. Favorite place on campus? The Center for Biblical and Theological Studies (or, the BTS). So much natural light. Favorite Bible minor class? Old Testament, with Dr. Miller, of course.

I hope you enjoyed getting to hear a little about me! I’d love to invite you to read my future entries, which will be posted each week. In them, I’ll be sharing about life on campus and how I’m navigating my senior year.

Till next time!

Tags: , , ,
Posted in: ,