May 4, 2024 by

Hey y’all! My name is Emma, and I am excited to walk you through a snapshot of what a typical day as a senior middle childhood education major looks like! My day is a bit different than the average college student because, as a senior education major, I am a student teacher at a local middle school this spring (which means that I get to be teaching in the classroom every day with the support of a mentor teacher). In other words, I get the best of both worlds this semester: I still get to experience Cedarville’s campus life and community, but I am also getting the hands-on experience of teaching in a real classroom. So, let’s get started! 

5:45 a.m. 

It’s 5:45 a.m. on a Thursday morning, and I am just waking up. I run through my morning routine of showering and grabbing a quick breakfast before heading out the door at about 6:30 a.m. to drive to school. 

7 a.m. 

At school, I get to put all of my Cedarville education classes into practice as I teach eighth- graders about the wonderful world of English language arts! I also teach a chess elective, which has been a neat addition to my school day. In addition to the academic side of student teaching, it has been encouraging to see the Lord open opportunities to have meaningful conversations with my students, as well as the other teachers in the building. 

2:30 p.m. 

When the school day wraps up and the students head home, I usually stick around until 3:30 or 4 p.m. to grade papers and prepare for the upcoming lessons. On Thursdays, however, I head back to the ‘Ville at 3 p.m. to meet with my D6 girls. D6 is a youth discipleship program that my church uses, and I meet with three middle and high school girls at Beans ‘n’ Cream, a local coffee shop, each week to walk through the curriculum.  

5 p.m. 

After D6, I head to campus to attend the weekly evening seminar for senior education majors — it’s hard to believe that this class is my final Cedarville course! 

6:30 p.m. 

After class gets out, I return to my townhouse on campus to cook up some dinner. Each townhouse houses six people, so there is almost always someone at home to talk with while I am making dinner. When it comes to packing school lunches and making my favorite recipes, it is handy to have a kitchen. The townhouses have been an ideal cross between on-campus and apartment living, giving me a taste of real independence while also offering all the amenities of Cedarville’s campus community. 

Emma playing sand volleyball with fellow Cedarville students.

9 p.m. 

To round out the night, I walk over to the gym to play a 9 p.m. intramural racquetball match with my brother, who is a freshman on campus. It’s always nice to get some exercise and enjoy the friendly competition before winding down for the night. When I get back from the match, I chat with my roommate, get ready for bed, and then climb into bed to soak up my daily devos before turning the lights out. 

Wowzers! That was a whirlwind! This is a typical Thursday, but each day of the week looks a bit different and varies season to season, with evening activities ranging from D6, seminar, and intramural racquetball to young adult Bible study at church, catching a meal with friends, doing schoolwork in the SSC (the Stevens Student Center), grabbing a coffee one-on-one, helping out with youth group events, or playing a game of pick-up sand volleyball. There are so many incredible opportunities available to me as a Cedarville student, and it can be so hard to decide how to spend my time! 

Thank you for joining me on this adventure! I hope that this snapshot of life as a senior education major was helpful and insightful! There is never a dull moment and always something to learn! You can find more information about the middle childhood education program at Cedarville (which I happen to think is the best major!) online.  Emma and her townhouse girls.

Tags: , ,
Posted in: , ,