September 26, 2018

I’m going to do what?

It was my sophomore year, and the first day of a class called Professional Portfolio Development. The professor informed us that we would be participating in mock interviews: first with our fellow classmates, then with some of PWID’s board members, both on the phone and in person. First, we would pick a job that intrigued us, and then we would pretend to go through the interview process.

I was 17 years old. I had only ever worked online, aside from my job at a bakery. I felt about as inexperienced as one could be.

How could I be interviewed by professionals who had been in their field for as long as I’d been alive? Let’s just say I was terrified. I’ve never felt as unprepared as I did in that moment.

As the course continued, my anxiety mounted. I started to create my resumé and was reminded of how little I’d accomplished. My professor assured me that the board members were aware of our inexperience, but I was still nervous.

A few weeks before our phone interviews, my classmates and I practiced with each other. I grew more comfortable talking about myself and my interests. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed trying to “sell” myself. It became a fun challenge instead of a daunting task.

My phone interviews went smoothly. I was amazed at how comfortable I was. My interviewers seemed to like my concise answers and quick wit.

I think they liked me and my confidence. Maybe I can do this! Maybe I can walk into a mock interview and convince a board member to “hire” me.

The day of the in-person interviews arrived. I put on my best professional dress, spent extra time doing my hair, and patiently waited for 2 p.m. I was somewhat distracted during my classes that day, but I knew I was ready. I knew I could carry myself well, even if I felt completely underqualified for the position I was pretending to interview for. The time I spent practicing in class had prepared me for whatever would come next.

My classmates and I waited for our interviews in a room that felt like a funeral parlor. How fitting for our state of anxious anticipation. I tried to reason with myself:

It’s okay! You’re going to walk into that room, have a conversation with someone, and pass this class. Regardless of how this interview goes, you’ll gain valuable experience and be better prepared for future interviews.

I walked into the room and met my interviewer. We started to discuss my resumé, and I felt my passion for writing bubble up and spill into our conversation. I shocked myself! Here I was, a young, amateur writer, going on and on about my growing skill set and future aspirations. As we talked, I saw how much my interviewer valued and loved his career. It made me so excited for my future as a professional writer.

Looking back on that experience, I’m so grateful I took Portfolio during my first semester at Cedarville. It taught me to embrace the unknown. It gave me the tools I need to be successful in future interviews—interviews that will determine what my career holds.

No matter what comes next, I’m confident in my ability to sell my writing. I guess I’ll have to see who wants to buy it.

About the author

Delaney Yutzy

Join the Conversation

Keep Exploring...

No one told me college would be harder when it got easier. As a junior PWID student at Cedarville University, …

“Did you know there’s a website students are using to write papers for them?” my dad asked me over dinner …

In my opinion, writing is THE most important skill we can learn. Life nowadays depends on it. Whether it’s writing …