The Write Major Blog

Read stories from past and current students about their experience in the Professional Writing program at Cedarville University!

I first came to Cedarville in the fall of 2021 with a declared major in Communication, but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Would I like …

I vividly remember the emotions that come with being a senior in high school. Probably because of the number of people who got nervous when I told them I was …

Graduation looms a few months in my future. Like a swarm of vultures circling a carcass, people shriek the daunting question from every direction: What are you going to do …

Sitting in Tyler 102, I eagerly waited for Intro to Professional Writing, my first Professional Writing and Information Design (PWID) class, to begin. Students filed in, some greeting the professor, and took their seats at the rows of tables facing the projector. Excitement cascaded through me. This is it; I’m finally here!

After trying out two different majors, my four-year plan was a mess. At this point, no one looking at my schedule could tell what I wanted to do with my future—and neither could I. My dream of one day looking forward to the “big kid” world of a stable job seemed to slip away into hoping I could make it to graduation changing my major less than ten times.

As I prepare to submit the first draft of my portfolio, I can’t help but take a look at what I’ve become. Before coming to Cedarville, I was a nervous wreck: I couldn’t handle the responsibility of becoming a full-grown adult. I’m doing all sorts of things that I had never pictured myself doing.