The Write Major Blog

April 1, 2019

People always talk about “doing what you love” or “finding your passion.” Poetic and valid, yes, but the process is not exactly one-size-fits-all. You can’t discover your passion from a Google search. I came to Cedarville undeclared—I had no idea what to do with myself. I wasn’t overly worried, but I was on the edge of my proverbial seat, waiting for what the next chapter in my story might be about. Turns out, the Lord wrote it better than I ever could have.

My story did not begin with Professional Writing and Information Design. I first declared public speaking as my major, but only for a semester. I loved it! Giving speeches was a blast. I realized the power and responsibility held in articulation. I figured that this skill could prepare me for various roles in ministry, and that was my main concern. I wanted to study something of value in which I could find satisfaction and integrate my faith. But as much as I loved the major, it wasn’t right for me. I couldn’t explain it, but I knew my story had something else in the chapters to follow. I wanted a different challenge.

So, I made a big switch to molecular and cellular biology. Talk about a different challenge. I assumed there would be many opportunities in the medical field to minister to people, and certainly it would be satisfying to play a part in bringing people back to health. So, during that full year of science classes, I studied harder than I ever had before. And I loved it! I enjoyed sitting down to do homework for hours on end. I was fascinated by the vast amount of information that I had access to. However, I realized that I simply had a passion for learning, not for biology itself. I knew this wasn’t right for me. I had the capability, but I didn’t have the passion. The Lord wasn’t writing this into the next chapters of my life either.

“Why weren’t these majors right—especially if I loved them both?” I’d ask myself. I had everything else in place. I had defined my life goals, not just my career goals. I hoped to marry my boyfriend and have a family someday. I wanted to move back home to the farm. I planned to show my family the world just like my parents did. Most of all, I desperately wanted to serve the Lord with my whole heart in my career. But I still didn’t know what that would be.

After a long night of scouring the academic catalog, I saw a program called Professional Writing and Information Design. I flipped to the next major. But then I flipped back. After looking into it a little more, I emailed Professor Carrington and scheduled a meeting with him the next day.

I walked into his office prepared. I had laid out my four-year plan in perfect detail. I had my questions written down. I was ready to make a good, intelligent first impression.

After finding my seat across from his desk and shaking hands, I summarized my situation for him. He smiled. I was on task, going at Mach speed, but he slowed our conversation down. He said he wasn’t so worried about my competency, but about my interests. He said that if I liked it, I would most likely do well. He said that the best students are the ones who like their studies.

I mirrored his smile. I took a deep breath. I didn’t know it then, but I had walked right into one of the most important meetings of my life. I was skeptical at first, though. I couldn’t quite wrap my mind around why anyone would want to write. For me, writing had always been an assignment. I had a knack for it in high school (thanks to a great English teacher), but I never practiced it in my free time. In spite of my doubt, the Lord gave me an inkling that I might like it. By the end of the meeting I had switched my major again!

I began my writing classes. “I can see this. I love my homework. I can feel how this will fit in to ministry—I have so many ideas…” I would catch myself saying over and over again. I began to notice concepts from the classroom bleeding into other aspects of my life. Writing classes not only taught me how to write; they changed my mindset. Every word should be considered carefully to accomplish the purpose of the document, just like every action and every thought should accomplish my purpose: to praise God. I knew that I was giving it my all. This chapter of my story kept getting better.

It’s not over yet, and I wouldn’t re-write my college experience any other way. I gained valuable insights and skills from my previous majors that have helped me become a good writer. Public speaking gave me a respect for words, persuading, and connecting to others. Biology sparked my interest for diverse knowledge and taught me personal discipline to keep the spark burning. Professional Writing has given me a platform to unify those passions into a satisfying practice. I love helping people say what they want to say, effectively. I love simplifying things. I love improving things. This major isn’t for everyone, but it sure is for me. The Lord is a grand Author.

About the author

Bonnie Higgins

Join the Conversation

Keep Exploring...

Joy in Writing

You can hardly type fast enough as your fingers fly across the keys. Your thoughts compose sentences rapidly, and you …

Graduation looms a few months in my future. Like a swarm of vultures circling a carcass, people shriek the daunting …

Group projects are an inevitable part of college, especially in the Professional Writing program at Cedarville. But don’t let this scare you! Like many others, I prefer to complete assignments by myself rather than with a group. However, my time as a professional writing student has shown me the beauty and importance of working with others.