Security TechTalk – Thursday, 6/25 at 11:45 a.m. in SSC 240/241
Two new security methods for your CedarNet and Google accounts will be demonstrated at this session. Bring along your mobile phone or other mobile device if you wish to get set up immediately. Help us to help you protect your University accounts from unauthorized use.
Arrive at SSC 240/241 by 11:45 a.m. to pick up a ticket for a free lunch. Presentation starts at noon. Preregistration is helpful but not required cedarville.edu/techtraining.
Redwood Upgrade – Friday, 7/17 starting at 3:00 p.m.
The Redwood server will be migrated to new hardware beginning at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, July 17. This migration will take approximately 9-12 hours and during this time any system or service that derives it’s data from the Redwood server will not function.
Systems affected include:
- Maintenance Work Order system
More information regarding this work will be sent out as we get closer to the date; however, feel free to contact Scott Howder if you have any questions.
University Hardware Upgrades – CD/DVD Drive Options
About one fourth of University computers are upgraded each year. This year, the desktop and laptop models do not include an optical drive (for CD and DVDs). Eliminating the optical drive is an industry trend in laptops and saves the University money while providing a lighter-weight, smaller-sized system for faculty and staff.
1. Please submit an IT request if you need software installed on your new University computer from a CD or DVD. The technicians have several external CD/DVD drives on hand and are happy to install the software for you.
2. If you need regular access to an optical drive, please submit an IT request and provide your department general ledger number. IT will order an external CD/DVD drive with a USB connection for your personal/departmental use (cost around $30).
Important Future Dates – Moodle Upgrade, Student Moodle Upload, Used Computer Sale, Windows Updates
Please make note of the following upcoming dates. More details will become available as the dates get closer.
- Moodle Rosters (7/1, 7/31) The rosters for all enrolled pharmacy students will be uploaded on 7/1. All other students enrolled in fall online classes will be uploaded on 7/31.
- Moodle Upgrade (7/7 from 6:00 – 9:00 a.m.) The Moodle learning management system (online courses) will be upgraded to version 2.9 during this time. All Moodle resources and content will be inaccessible during this time.
- Used Computer Sale (7/16, 7/17, 7/30, 7/31) Items available for sale include: 400 used desktop systems with Windows 7 pre-installed and a large supply of 22″ LCD monitors. The availability of laptop systems is not yet determined. Any Apple systems will be sold at a future date (to be decided).
- Windows Updates (7/23, 8/20) Monthly Windows server maintenance is scheduled from 5:30 – 7:00 a.m. on these dates. You may notice a brief outage with the main web server, as well as intermittent access to the Google mail login page.